RE: [Epic] Ork Army for critique

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 16:03:16 -0500

>"Miller, Chris" <CMiller_at_...> has carefully scribed:
>
>>-----> Well, there's useless and there's _useless_.
>>The corvus wasn't something I would take every time
>> but the Corvus assault HEAD didn't cost you any
>>weapon slots and gave you 4 termie stands for free...
>>
>>(Yes, I do have one)
>
>Well, that's one.... I didn't like it because the Warlord only had a
>move of 15cm, and I was damned if was going to give up all it's weapons
>for a turn just to get a 30cm move. If you were defending, it was OK,
>but since I was Chaos, I preferred to attack.
>

><emblem of Slaanesh>
>
>'Mad Dog' McAlister

------> Yeah, that's the problem, given that slow speed, people tend to
specialize them and you get some weird stuff: Say you took the head and
2 assault pods - that's a lot 'o termies in a fairly tough transport
vehicle.
Take a fire control centre on one carapace mount, and a
plasma cannon/hvy plasma on the other:
Charge an objective or building, dump troops. Next turn go on FF and
pump plasma into the battle. The termies hold a presumably important
spot and provide mass assault insurance, and you actually have a titan
who can keep on the plasma gun fire without giving up a chance to shoot
other weapons.

Given the limitations, people won't take just one, they'll over kill it,
and you
start a "cheese spiral". That happened a lot in SM/TL. Your "cheese
encounter
frequency" and enjoyment of the game usually depend directly on your
playing
group - true of most games.

(No I do not have one of these monstrosities)

Chris Miller

(and as to another comment - I never actually saw the head defined for
SM/TL, only
first ed, so I don't know how I'd use it really. One stand seems a
little more
reasonable, but the head was kind of a stepchild anyway. I just painted
'im
up because I liked the look and I was tired of Knights & Skulls. I
wouldn't
have a problem with one or with four, until things got to the point
discussed
above)