RE: [Epic] Orks with LandRaiders

From: Chris Pinson <chrisp_at_...>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 09:14:34 +0930

I am intrigued ...

        explain to little 'ol me how the rules correlate ...

=
        just because units and weapons have the same names does not alter the fund=
amental MATHS of either system. A space marine dread is crap (subjective) i=
n E40K whilst I rarely fight without them in WH40K but they are seperate ga=
mes.

        I reitterate ... It is a mistake to look for a correlation between t=
he maths (and therefore effects) of two utterly distinct gaming systems.

=

-----> What? The background is the only thing the same? Many of the
notes =
and articles about the system leading up to it's release referred
to the ne=
ed to link the system _more_ closely to 40K. The firefight
system is suppos=
ed to represent an entire 40K battle. Sure, the rules
are different, but th=
e units, weapons, combat style, army lists and
terrain are all linked direc=
tly to 40K, so yes, I think it's reasonable
to work over why 2 LC's in one =
case = 2 AT shots and 2 LC's in another
case = 2-3 Fp. Many of us play =
both games and see no game or fluff
reason to make a distinction.
        "Abstra=
ction above the complexities of WH40K" was absolutely not one of
the princi=
ple aims of E40K - it was a reduction of the numerous special
rules, except=
ions, and general clutter of Space Marine & Titan Legions,
and an attempt t=
o make it more closely resemble WH40K in it's current
form, allegedly so 40=
K players would try it out.
        Every unit in E40K is translated over from a u=
nit in 40K (except for
some war machines- too big). So some of us are tryin=
g to figure it out
or at least come up with some kind of consistent way to =
convert. The AT
shot issue is one that's been around for a while, and proba=
bly will be
for some time.

Back to the issues in some other posts:

        I'm n=
ot as concerned with the comparison to a heavy weapons team or
squad - they=
 can have LC's , but usually have a mix of weapons besides
LC's. Dreds, how=
ever, have fewer options in 40K and are one of the few
other situations whe=
re you get twin-linked LC's like a land raider, so I
would like to see an o=
ption for AT shots on dreads, umm well Imperial
dreads anyway. Eldar could =
certainly take disrupt, and there are
probably other options out there I've=
 missed. Some options for other
tanks would be cool too - kinda like orky s=
peedstas and the "death ray
or SLD" option.

Chris Miller