Re: [Epic] net epic

From: Mike Fuller <mfuller_at_...>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 00:57:33 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 30 Jan 1997, Peter Ramos wrote:

> Just a reminder of the current topic!
>
> FIRST TOPIC
> 1-Army construction, present system(company cards,etc.) or a individual
> model points system(each figure assigned a point value), WHAT STAYS OR
> GOES!

I pretty much agree with what most other people have posted.
(1) Keep the card system
(2) Make it somewhat more customizable
(3) Place some kind of limit on the number of each type card. However,
this limit should not be one set limit for everything. First, the limit
should take into effect which army. I mean a army with a small
selection of units (Eldar) should not have the same limit as a army with
a large selection (Imperium). Second, the limit should also take into
effect the size of a given battle. The larger the battle the higher the
limit.

Of course, it may be difficult to incorporate both #2 & #3

> 2-Order Phase,What will each of the orders mean in terms of movement and
> firing.First Fire, Advance, Charge, Fallback.

I'm not sure. However, I like the idea of all(or most) units having some
type of snap fire ability. Maybe make the units
currentl unable to snap fire less effect (as some has already mentioned)
or maybe the unit must roll to see if it can snap fire(maybe add a new
stat for units.

On second thought this is may be becoming more complicated than needed.
Besides it may unbalance the game in favor of shooting armies (Chaos "so
very, very sorry").

On the topic of Initiative and moving. I have only played EPIC as
stated in the "Holy Scripture" :-). However, I think I would prefer
alternating. Maybe a system similar to the system we use in the our EPIC
campaign. Let me see if I can explain it clearly.

In the campaign, every turn each player receives a number of points based
on the number of planets he controls. Amoung other things, the players spend
theses points to buy what we call Strategic Action Points (that right
SAPs). Then during what is known as the action phase each player in turn
may spend these SAPs in order to activate his units (move & initiate a
battle). Spending 1 SAP allows the player to activate 1 unit. Spending 3
SAPs for 2 units. etc

I guess I didn't need to describe it in terms of our campaign rules
(sorry). Anyway, on to my point. Maybe, each army starts with a number of
activation points they can use to activate their units (detachments?) for
movement (& combat ?). Where it costs exponentially more activation
points to activate more units. Therefore a army could spend a wad of
points to activate a lot of his units in the first turn but would very few
points left in the latter turns.

Maybe I just like to make things more complicated.

Anyway just some thoughts

Good gaming to all

Mike