RE: [Epic] Net Epic Gudelines

From: Seth Ben-Ezra <Azathoth_at_...>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 00:58:44 -0500

On 31 Jan 97 at 9:00, kx.henderson_at_... wrote:

> >Why as a Marine player must I take:
> >* Rhinos for every infantry formation EXCEPT scouts?... What if I hate
> rhinos (and I do)?! What if I want a Battle Company with Landraiders?
> >* And yet I MUST take said landraiders along with ALL standard terminator
> formations?
> >* My only "bike company" as a "special, one chapter, one of a kind" card?
> There should NEVER be a reason to print a company card, if you can only take
> one in a game... that is where SPECIAL cards come in!
>
> Here I go again:
>
> Another point I'd like to make here. Just because you don't like Rhinos
> doesn't mean that you army will never use them. The reason that the SM army
> cards have them as standard is that they are the standard transport that is
> issued.
>
> Here in Oz the army uses the M113 APC. Now I think they are crappy APC's.
> So do my friends who are in the army. Now just because they are crappy
> doesn't mean that a General can say "I don't like them, so I won't have them
> in my force". They are standard issue and is all they get. The same with
> the Rhino. They are crappy, but all the Marines get. They get a little
> flexibility by being able to buy detachments of Land Raiders or Razorbacks,
> but the flat fact of the matter is that you get 'em. Tough. Most army
> commanders don't get to pick and choose. They get given the gear and that's
> it. They like it or lump it.
>
> Sorry. Its early in the morning. <RANT MODE OFF>
>
> -Kelvin.....

> "Two weeks ago I had it made.
> Two weeks ago I was dead."
> -Katchoo, Strangers in Paradise
> email: kx.henderson_at_...

Just one word: amen! One of the reasons that I like the card system is
that it limits army selection. That sounds strange, but hear me out.
Some of the ideas that we have for armies are not "realistic" or
"historical". For example, the Terminator army, popularized in 40K.
No Marine chapter would risk all of their Terminators in one pitched
battle unless the situation were dire (i. e. scenario battle). A few
might be on hand in leadership roles (here I'm thinking of Wolf Guard
Termies) or as elite shock troops, but the majority of any Marine army
will be the power-armored grunts. Epic enforces this with the card
system. I agree: the Rhino sucks. Its only purpose in life is to move
Marines quickly. BUT, that is the way that the "historical" Marine
army works. Sure, every Marine would prefer to be delivered to the
battlefield in a Land Raider. But, for reasons not spelled out (budget
concerns, material scarcity, whatever) Rhinos are used. Rather than
allow customization, I would rather see "historical" formations being
fielded. This also controls the cheese factor. Think about it. When
was the last time that any of you 40K players (I know you're out there
:) ) saw someone field Wolf Guard in power armor? I never do.
Putting them in Terminator armor makes them much better, IMHO. The
same will happen in Epic. Why put your Marines in Rhinos when you can
pay X more points and put them in Land Raiders? There will be no good
reason.

Seth Ben-Ezra
Great Wolf