Re: [Epic] Tyranids vs Tyranids

From: Aaron P Teske <Mithramuse+_at_...>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 01:32:43 -0400 (EDT)

Excerpts from Epic: 28-Aug-97 Re: [Epic] Tyranids vs Tyra.. by Oki
Purwanto_at_...
> Also, some recent fluff mentioned that hormogaunts do breed separately from
> other Tyranid creatures.

Never heard that, or at least I don't remember reading it. White Dwarf
188 (Codex: Tyrandis issue) doesn't have anything to say on the subject,
but then this was before WD just started reprinting the Codex.

>From some other fluff, it was hinted that
> Dominatrices are the brood mother of the Tyranids creatures - termagaunts,
> lictors and so on.

Haven't heard that, either. Are you sure you're not thinking of the
Hiveships in Space Fleet?

"Within the twisting, fleshy corridors of the Hiveship lurk massive
armies of Genestealers, Tyranid warriors and worse. At the very heart
of each Hiveship is the throne chamber of the Norn Queen, without whose
guidance the whole fleet would founder, wither and perish. The Norn
Queen's own marking appear on all her Tyranid warriors, bio-constructs
and the vessels in her fleet. Teh bigger Tyranid fleets may display the
markings of several Norn Queens." (WD 146, p.21)

>However hormogaunts seem to be able to breed by
> themselves (ala Aliens ?). In some cases when a Tyranid force was beaten
> off, surviving Hormogaunts are able to breed by themselves, laying eggs (?)
> underground, and later emerging. The funny thing is that it has been
> documented (in the fluff at least) that these Hormogaunts basically killed
> all other life forms on the planet and later turned upon one another. Pretty
> much like an Alien spin-off story done by the Dark Horse comics.

Funky. Do you recall where? I'd love to get the reference....

> Besides those two documented case, it is not quite unforeseenable to see
> Genestealers breaking free of Tyranid Hive Mind.

Well, the Imperium didn't even connect Genestealers with the Hive Mind
until it found 'em in the Fleets, and also got some record of how the GS
Cults undermined a planet's defenses when a Hive Fleet showed up. All
in all, I don't think GS Cults are connected to the Hive Mind in the
least unless there is a Hive Fleet in system....

Later,

                    Aaron Teske
                    Mithramuse+_at_...