[Epic] New IG Detachments

From: Erik K. Rutins <snowdo1_at_...>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 13:16:04 -0400

HM,

Good job putting these together. I like some of the rules, others seem
too powerful. One question in particular: Aren't all these units the
same in 40k? If so, why would there be differentiation on the
less-detailed Epic 40k scale?

Anyway, here are some comments:

I don't think there should be standard Infantry in the Support section
too.

The Catachan ability seems fairly balanced.
The Valhallan post had Cadian all over it, up until the definition of
the ability. Probably just a cut and paste error.
The Valhallan ability is too powerful. Despite Valhallans being so
scarce numerically, Ork players will never see anything but. Compared
to the Catachan ability, it is seriously underpriced (same cost,
combination of stubborn and an Emperor's Tarot one-shot card). I would
allow them to be Stubborn when fighting Orks, period.
The Mordian ability, priced the same, is even more powerful than the
Valhallan, since they don't just use it on Orks. They have it all the
time! In other words, they are psychologically superior (by far) to
elite Space Marine veterans. I don't buy this for a second. Perhaps
allow them to remove d6 blast markers instead of d6-1, that's it.
The Attilan ability is unclear. The lances are not ranged weapons, so
they shouldn't apply except in close combat. Perhaps give the
Attilan's a +1 to Assault rolls.

I would also state that an IG army may have only one detachment of each
of these special units. They're not exactly a dime a dozen, I would
presume.

What might be worthwhile would be to consider 'Veteran' abilities like
the IG have in 40k. Kind of like the 'honors' for Titans in that you
could buy a Veteran ability for an IG detachment before the battle, or
gain it with experience. Perhaps allow one Veteran detachment per 2000
points? Just an idle thought... keep those creative juices flowing!

Regards,

- Erik

"Look within. Within is the fountain of good, and it will ever bubble
up, if you will ever dig."
- Marcus Aurelius