Re: [Epic] The ages of Warhammer was mixing (long)

From: Aaron P Teske <Mithramuse+_at_...>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 09:44:39 -0400 (EDT)

Excerpts from Epic: 1-Sep-97 Re: [Epic] The ages of Warh.. by Tyler
Provick_at_intranet.c
> When was that White Dwarf published? It wouldn't be 1987 would it. If so
> then we have any easy way to update the timeline, it would currently be
> 0000997/M41. Which means the battle for Ichar IV took place sometime in
> 0000996/M41

Hmm, yes, probably. Actually, I read through the entire article this
time (I just grabbed what I needed last time, otherwise it'd take
*forever* to do this) and found the following:

"As the last example explains, the current year in the WH40K mythos is
year 987/M41. The current 'real' year is, of course, year 987/M2.
Because it makes the game easier to write for, I usually refer dates in
the WH40K mythos to the approximate 1987 equivalent at the time of
writing. Obviously it is not possible to coordinate 'game time' and
'real time' absolutely, but it does add coherency to a campaign
structure. Your campaigns my be developed in the same way, but feel
free to to flexible. If you command a force which must travel through
warp space for six months of game time, it's hardly reasonable to wait
six months before fighting the battle!"

(Oh, this article is by Rick Priestly, BTW.)

So it does seem reasonable to say that Ichar IV took place sometime in
996/M41. (Incidentally, if you're uncertain of the date don't add in
the year fraction. "When referring to a year in general terms, and
where it is not neccessary to include the year fraction or check number
[the first digit, referencing the accuracy of the date] it is acceptable
to write 'year 930/M32'." Just FYI.)

The thing is, I'm not really certain whether GW really uses this system
any more. I don't recall seeing the dates in anything other than old
White Dwarf issues, and compilations of those issues like the WH40K
Compendium. I imagine the Book of the Astronomicron has 'em too, but I
don't have that one. Recent issues of White Dwarf have been devoid of
dates... and, actually, so have not-that-recent issues. I just flipped
through WD#151-153, and couldn't find any dates, though there aren't
that many WH40K articles in those issues. I do know there aren't any
dates in the Space Fleet articles, issues 139-141, 146 and 147.

To put it mildly, I was surprised to see the date listed in the Sisters
of Battle Codex. Out of curiosity, did Rick Priestly work on it? I'm
wondering if he's the original architect of the universe, and whether
the other developers really worry about following his timeline & all
that. Anyone?

Later,

                    Aaron Teske
                    Mithramuse+_at_...