RE: Spaceship rules (was Re: [Epic] The WORST GW rules)

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 13:55:38 -0500

>Anyway, there are four 'major' spaceship combat games on the market, and
>I don't think any of 'em have 3D combat. Silent Death is fighter
>combat; it's fast paced, and The Next Millenium is, from what I hear, a
>good bit better than the original. Star Fleet Battles is the game for
>those who love to have one-on-one (or similarly small) battles with
>*lots* of detail. (Oh, and likeing Star Trek is a plus. ^_- ) Full
>Thrust, on the other hand, can be played straight out of the first book
>with no trouble. (And it's not that big a book.) Babylon 5 Wars is the
>recent addition, so it probably shouldn't be considered that major, but
>anyway... I haven't played it, but it's gotten favorable reviews. The
>hex grid movement system included with the box set is, however, fiddly;
>the Earth Force supplement will (IIRC) contain a vector movement system
>for non-hex play. That should be pretty nice, and if you like B5 it
>only gets better.
>
>I know I haven't covered Jovian Chronicles, which is mecha in space
>comabt IIRC, but I don't know anything about it. Oh, and if you do want
>3D combat, GDW's Space: 1889 ethership combat rules accounted for
>altitude IIRC.... ^_^
>
>We now return (maybe) to our regularly scheduled Epic conversations.
>
>Later,
>
> Aaron Teske
> Mithramuse+_at_...

-----. I will add some you might still be able to find:

The old TSR Star Frontiers Knight Hawks was a ship combat game
with hex-based movement etc.

Starfire has had minis at different times and has a really cool record
keeping system - it's from Task Force and is rather easy to play.

Traveller has had some good stuff over the years: Brilliant Lances is
a rather detailed system which actually considers crew quality when
resolving combat, and Battle Rider was squadron based rather than
ship-based - there were some traveller ship minis out for a while
recently,
might still be but I haven't seen 'em locally for a while.

Chris Miller