Spaceship rules (was Re: [Epic] The WORST GW rules)

From: Aaron P Teske <Mithramuse+_at_...>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 1997 09:24:42 -0400 (EDT)

Excerpts from Epic: 31-Aug-97 RE: [Epic] The WORST GW rules by
=?iso-8859-1?Q?Peace_at_uri
>Just because we mentioned space =
> fleet. Anyone know a good space game? I've heard of Full Thrust and Star =
> Fleet Battles. I read up a bit on the 2, liked Full Thrust better. One =
> problem I always saw with space games was that it's hard to represent 3 =
> dimentional combat on a flat surface. Oh well.=20

Why do the = signs appear at the end of each of your lines?

Anyway, there are four 'major' spaceship combat games on the market, and
I don't think any of 'em have 3D combat. Silent Death is fighter
combat; it's fast paced, and The Next Millenium is, from what I hear, a
good bit better than the original. Star Fleet Battles is the game for
those who love to have one-on-one (or similarly small) battles with
*lots* of detail. (Oh, and likeing Star Trek is a plus. ^_- ) Full
Thrust, on the other hand, can be played straight out of the first book
with no trouble. (And it's not that big a book.) Babylon 5 Wars is the
recent addition, so it probably shouldn't be considered that major, but
anyway... I haven't played it, but it's gotten favorable reviews. The
hex grid movement system included with the box set is, however, fiddly;
the Earth Force supplement will (IIRC) contain a vector movement system
for non-hex play. That should be pretty nice, and if you like B5 it
only gets better.

I know I haven't covered Jovian Chronicles, which is mecha in space
comabt IIRC, but I don't know anything about it. Oh, and if you do want
3D combat, GDW's Space: 1889 ethership combat rules accounted for
altitude IIRC.... ^_^

We now return (maybe) to our regularly scheduled Epic conversations.

Later,

                    Aaron Teske
                    Mithramuse+_at_...