Re: [Epic] The ages of Warhammer was mixing (long)

From: Tyler Provick <bprovick_at_...>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 1997 11:35:46 -0400

At 07:25 PM 9/2/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Miller, Chris wrote:
>>

>> >The only rpg/wargame that advances timelines is DP9, which their Timeline
>> >thing, which is, as they add more information, they say this information has
>> >come to light this many years later. So eventually they plan to advance the
>> >HG timeline 30 or so years in 6 years, at which point they will continue to
>> >support HG, they are just gonna stop advancing the timeline
>> >
>> >Tyler
>> >
>> -----> Star Fleet Battles & Battletech have both done this...
>> (advanced the timeline, I mean)
>> and it's great, until it stops...
>Unless you are running old tech.
>
>Go ahead use pre clan Mechs vs Clan mechs, at even odds. It's not
>pretty.
>
>While we are at it TSR has advanced a time line in at least 2 of their
>worlds (Ravenloft and the Forgetten Realms). In the case of the
>Forgetten Realms they did 3 novels to explain why all the rules changed,
>plus issued a hardback book about the Realms after the change. A nicely
>done, if some what forced, method of explaining what happened to some
>characters classes that went away when the second editon of AD&D came
>out.

I mean, with each new book, they don't change rules, they just explain what
is going on with Chief Justice Winston Stark and his little tiff with the
Sorrento religion. It isn't an excuse to add new miniatures, it is to make
the background realistic. Sure, you might not care about Stark, but your GM
just mentions what he is doing, for fluff. Right now Terra Nova, the planet
on which Heavy Gear is based, is on the brink of a huge civil war. People
can only guess what will happen, and as you keep up with sourcebooks, the
fluff is from a slightly later date.

Tyler