Re: [Epic] [E40K] Battle Report, part III

From: Mark A Shieh <SHODAN+_at_...>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 16:15:20 -0400 (EDT)

allen_at_... (A. Allen McCarley) writes:
> > It sounds like Allen the Q & A Guy should step in on this one; ask t\
> he> Great Jervis and/or Andy what's up with this. It seems to me that only the
> > people who can't take advantage of this think it's cheese. If you think
> > it's cheese and you CAN do this super first turn move, then I'll pay more
> > attention to what you have to say.

        It seems pretty clear to me that according to the rules as
written, this is a perfectly legal move. It's just that many of us
think it's a bit hokey. I wish there was a better mechanism for
getting stuck in. Right now, there's nothing stopping you from
infiltrating across a perfectly flat plain.
        It's mildly cheesy, but says to me that the transport rules
need work more than the infiltrator rules. Can't the Tyranids get a
110 cm move with transports? My slow Eldar only get about a 90cm
move, I think. When I'm getting a 90cm move with assault troops, I
could care less whether my infiltrators are moving about 60cm in one
turn.

> Hmm... OK; I'll ask. Incidentally, my Imperial army is quite capable
> of taking advantage of this "super move." It still strikes me as
> being cheesey.
>
> I think the rule is supposed to represent advance elements (scouts) having
> infiltrated their way into the battlefield, undetected, before the battle
> starts. This is true even if you don't start them on the table top. The
> scouts were there all the time, they just didn't enter the fight until
> your reserves showed up. The +30cm extra move allows you to simulate
> how far they made it before becoming detected or enterring the fight.

        The old rules seemed workable before. Infiltrators get one
move before the games begin. But back then, all Infiltrators moved
the same speed. Ideally, I'd like to see something like being able to
start in any piece of cover 40cm from your edge of the map. If
there's no cover, no bonus for being an infiltrator.

Mark