Re: [Epic] LOS

From: Andy Skinner <askinner_at_...>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 1997 10:18:43 -0500

Francois Bruntz wrote:

> My gaming group use the Space Marine / Titan Legion rules about this
> problem. If a unit is IN the wood/building, it's can't be seen and
> can't be shooted. But if the unit is at the EDGE of the wood/building
> then it can be seen and shooted (whith cover modifiers of course).

I agree with this. I think Epic 40K tried to abstract things that
didn't need it.

Although I'll go along with troops not blocking line of sight,
since it used to add a lot of time trying to see whether you
can see the target between the figures, I'm not crazy about
the simplified LOS rule for intervening terrain. The new game
has the rule that if you are higher than a piece of terrain,
that terrain doesn't affect your LOS. I'm content to stick
with the old rule. (I also want skimmers to only pop-up 25 cm.
I'll compensate by letting them end their turn over water and
such.)

The LOS rule about height has one interesting by-product. It
makes high ground more desirable, because it increases what you
can see up there dramatically. I originally missed the part
about how you are also visible over those lower terrain items,
and thought that it was a one-way line of sight, but that was
incorrect. I wonder if I like the side-effect enough to go along
with this rule. Terrain in this game is not usually high enough
proportional to the size of the board to let you see an amazing
amount around.

andy
askinner_at_...