Re: [Epic]targeting

From: J. Michael Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 1997 11:43:02 -0500

Miller, Chris wrote:

> >I did NOT say that troops should ignore tactical threats, I said the
> >rules should not force you into shooting at a unit you don't want to
> >shoot at. Let me give a "real world example" here.
> >
> >You are the platoon leader of a 4 tank platoon armed with M1A1 You
> >have in front of you, at about 2000 meters a company of "Russian"
> Mech
> >infantry, supported by a platoon of T-XX (latest Russian tank, assume
> it
> >to be capable of hurting a M1A1 at this range). The tanks are at say
>
> >2100 meters. The mech infantry is in BMP-2 (the one with no ATGM and
> >30mm Auto Cannon). You are under "weapons free" ROE (that may be an
>
> >ADA thing, ignore if N/A to Armor). Do you
> >1) shoot the tanks, which can hurt you RIGHT NOW or
> >2) shoot the infantry which may give you fits in 10-15 min. when they
>
> >get there.
> >
> >A good set of war game rules should let you do it either way. WH40K
> >says that you shoot the mech inf. first, you have no choice.
>
> -----> No, actually WH40K says the guys with bolters shoot the
> infantry
> and the guy with the lascannon shoots the tank ! It's "nearest squad
> OR vehicle" and
> they expressly mention this is to allow hvy weapons guys to smack
> tanks without forcing the grunts to waste shots on something they
> can't hurt.

I should have said that the mech infantry is still mounted. What you
are looking at is 13-15 AFVs coming at your. Think of the BMP as the
Chimera. Call it 10 Chimera followed by 3 Predetors, with you being
Land Raiders.

And you don't (in this case) have any grunts of your own. This is, BTW,
not a good thing to be in. If the "Army formally called Soviet" (tm
MadMac) troops do keep coming in "dumb" like my example, the US platoon
has a chance. If they act the way that they should the treadheads are
in a world of hurt.

--
Sillyness is the last refuse of the doomed.  P. Opus