RE: [Epic] [E40K] Battle Report, part III

From: Tyler Provick <bprovick_at_...>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 1997 13:20:12 -0400

> I disagree; how do you think an infiltrator gets to his position? Walking?
>All the way? Surely, you jest...By the way, the acidic way you phrase
>things: stylistic choice or do you not realize you're doing it?

Ack, I've been caught, I'm really a Tyranid.

Now, Infiltrators are able to infiltrate because they are sneaky, not
because you are fast. I'm pretty sure the Imperium has spent no efforts to
make a Stealth Rhino (Or Black Rhino, if you will) so riding around in a
Rhino should affect the Infiltrators ability to infiltrate. On the other
hand, you can consider their 30cm bonus as a quasi-movement, or something.
It is defined as a movement, but is really not. It is the infiltrators
sneaking (not driving in a APC) ahead of the army. If the infiltrators move
with Rhinos, they are with the rest of the detachment, because the Rhinos
start the first turn with the detachment, and therefore should not be able
to infiltrate. Now, if they are alone, the only reason it says they move +30
is because it represents the fact that they are still reserves, and have
arrived on the field before the rest of their detachments, (3 turns of
movement prior to their detachment to be exact) but after the initial
detachments have started the battle.

This rule could have been handled two other ways.

1 find a psychic and have him or her tell you the turn before the detachment
arrives as reinforcements that you are now able to move your infiltrators

2. Say, "If the infiltrator's detachment does not start deployed, but
instead arrives as reinforcements, then you may deploy the infiltrators
within 30cm of the HQ unit, and then move as normal."

Instead they said "If they do not begin play deployed, then they get a +30
to their move when they do arrive." because it is shorter, and easier, but
not clearer.

For example, can someone explain how a scout infiltrates out of a drop pod?
Do they really run as fast as a Rhino to infiltrate, or does this represent
the fact that they were not affected by the fall (can't be pleasent) and
leave the pods before the rest of the detachment.

But then again, seeing as 30cm is a march move, perhaps infiltrate also
gives the scout the ability to march in cover, and still be able to shoot
normally.

Oh well, this is a big bugger, and something I definatly will play my way
(Infiltrators lose the ability to infiltrate when their cover is blown, by a
transport tank, thunderhawk gunship, or drop pod(or whatever))

Tyler