Re: [Epic] marine chapters (was: Orks with LandRaiders)

From: Tyler Provick <bprovick_at_...>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 1997 14:09:16 -0400

At 07:27 PM 9/4/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Sauron1 writes; "Totally off topic" The Canadian papers are full of recent
>test results that show grade 9 Canadian school children are totally lacking
>a clear understanding of Canadian History after 1900,s. The can tell you
>about Slavery but not mutch about Canada at that time, except we had lots
>people emigrating from Europe. How do yours do?
>
> sauron1

I can say, that as I remember being in Grade 9 and taking history twice
(make sure you can speak french before you take an emmersion history course)
that the way we were taught history sucked. I don't remember much of the
first year, being in french, and I was falling in sleep in class (after
lunch is not a good time for even a slightly boring class) but I do know
that none of it was taught to me when I took the course again in English.
1st year was politics, world, canadian. We spent a lot of time on Quebec
Politics, FLQ, quiet revolution. 2nd year was the amalgamated
Canadian/States history, where they talked about things that were common in
both states and Canada, Roaring Twenties, Depression. It all had a Canadian
Spin, but I remember it as something like, you saw this in an American film,
here it is, but in Canada.

Anyway, I do not know nearly enough about Canadian History, but many people
would consider me very well read. I know why the Mounties were formed, what
happened to them, the whole situation with the whiskey trade, but I can't
name all the Prime Ministers.

Tyler