Re: [Epic] marine chapters (was: Orks with LandRaiders)

From: J. Michael Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 1997 08:52:35 -0500

MCLAUGHLIN, RICHARD A. CPT wrote:
<snip - o matic>

> Schizoid MadMac:
> As much as I hate saying this. You are more right than you know.
> GW's
> "stated" reason for protecting characters from targeting is "the
> confusion
> of the battlefield". It wasn't until you compared Orcs to "the Army
> formerly know as Soviet" (do I have to credit myself?) that I realized
> how wrong
> they are. Antenna's! Ever since the military started using radios
> for
> command and control, a disproportionate number of LTs have died in
> combat. Look
> at WWII thru Vietnam. The leader is the one next to the RTO.
>
> In the former Red Army (it is shorter) not all of the vehicles had
> radios; only commanders. In the U.S. Army command vehicles are easily
>
> identified by the 2, 3, or even 4 antennas on the vehicles. A very
> real part of
> Air-Land Battle (the U.S. Army's Cold War Doctrine) was the
> destruction of any
> vehicle with antennas. All fire support observers had radios as well
> so if
> you accidently got a artillery spotter, oh well.
>
> Your Point? Man I hate this. Maybe the Epic40K targeting
> restrictions
> are not so unrealistic after all. Call em characters (40K) or SC
> (Epic40K)
> they are not so hard to pick out on the battlefield.

I hate it when the person I am have an argument with comes up with my
next point, and agrees with me. Targeting via eyeballing antennas is
not the only thing you have to worry about. If you assume ANY sort of
radar in use, well counter battery radar can find an artillery position,
under ideal conditions, before the first rounds hit the ground. Again,
assuming that former Red Army's REC and the US Army CEWI units are worth
damn near any thing, well as soon as the poor LT. start talking some one
has a very good chance of knowing where, with in 500 meters or so, the
sap is standing.

--
Sillyness is the last refuse of the doomed.  P. Opus