Re: [Epic] Net epic

From: Sean Smith <seans_at_...>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 1997 20:06:28 +1300

On Mon 03 Feb, Peter Ramos wrote:
> THIS WEEKS TOPIC: MOVEMENT AND INITIATIVE
>

> UNIT COHERENCY
>
> I guess the current 6 cm works okay. About how support cards interact
> with their parent company cards( as in ork clans would be the prime
> example) will be discussed with the appropiate army.

It has the advantage of being simple and it works, I vote to stick with it.

> UNIT MOVEMENT
>
> Many have expressed the interactions of certain vehicle type and the
> effects of terrain sometimes either dont make sense or are ridiculously
> restricted.
>
> Example: jetbikes not entering woods, track vehicles not being able to
> move backwards and fire.
>
> A house rule I have used relates terrain and its effects to the type of
> propulsion the vehicle has.
>
> MOVEMENT TYPE TERRAIN EFFECT
> foot/horse no restrictions except for rivers and
                                other impassible terrain

Do you mean that cavalry should be able to move full speed though woods?
If you do I vote againist this.

> tracked May move backwards and shoot only in advance fire at 1/2
                                the advance move
> May move into woods on advance also at 1/2 the advance move
> Usual restrictions for impassible terrain
> anti-grav (skimmers) May move into woods in advance orders at
> normal rate.Usual restriction for immpassible terrain
>
> This system basically represents historic movement possibilities for
> things like foot, track movement and represents are more realistic
> approach to more manuvearble anti-grav vehicles(no I am not an eldar
> fan!).This gives pros and cons to each movement type: skimmers move
> quicker in difficult terrain but only tracked vehicles can make real
> fighting retreats(firing while moveing backwards).

The rest of the above is both has the advantages of being both simple and realistic,
I vote for it.

> ORDERS
> In the older edition orders were revealed as the unit was activated thus
> hightening the expection and sense of unknown, this fits like a glove
> with the alternating movement system I am proposing.I stongly suggest
> not revealing orders until activation its a definite plus!!

I suggest that player who wins intiative gets decide who moves first in
each phase.

> SNAP FIRE
>
> Any unit on first fire orders may interrupt movement to resolve fire.
> The exception is that another unit may not interrupt a unit that is snap
> firing. Please note we will not discuss present edition snap fire units
> these will be covered with flyers. This is to keep these unit "special
> snap fire distinct from general snap fire (we will probably call it AA
> fire to avoid confusion).

I agree.

> TRANSPORT
>
> The present rules for embarking/disembarking troops has sometimes caused
> difficulty due to how much movement is left to troop stands after the
> vehicle has moved. I really dont have any comments on this one ,but
> someone might have a better solution.

The present rule works and is simple, I vote to stay with the present
rule.

--
 Sean Smith

 Home - Seans_at_...