[Epic] Pop-up attacks

From: Spatula <shupes_at_...>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 10:45:07 -0500

> From: John A Chapman <jac_at_...>
>
> > If he's firing in the psychic phase, how is he hitting them
> > at all? They don't pop-up until they fire in the FF phase. Maybe
> > you're not using enough cover?
>
> Aha this is where the ambiguities set in - we've always played that
> pop ups happen at the start of combat (well before the psychic phase existed
> that basically meant at the start of the combat phase) phase (is that the name
> I know the order but i seem to have forgotten the name). The way the pop up
> stuff is worded leaves it unclear as to when the actual pop up happens.

        There have been some heated arguments here in the past about
this, but I've only ever heard of 2 interpretations: (a) the vehicle
pop-ups when it fires and 'pop-downs' at the end of the FF phase;
(b) the vehicle pop-ups at the start of the FF phase and pop-downs
at the end. I've never heard of having them pop-up at the start of
the combat phase as a whole, I don't think there's anything in the
rules to support this. I believe the popular interpretation here on
the list is (a), vehicles pop-up only when they fire and cannot be
shot at beforehand.

> After a
> few games where (as an eldar player) I had more units that were on 1st fire
> therefore left the pop-ups until after the opposition had run out of units
> on 1st fire and thus prevented them from being shot at there were a lot of
> screams...thus the current rule.

        Well, that's your advantage as Eldar. You pay for it by
having vehicles with a poor CAF, which allows this chaos player to
fly in buttloads of THawks and beat up your tanks with few problems.

> When I posted a pop up timing question to the
> NG it was apparent that a lot of players played it both ways....but this
> basically means that psykers on FF get to nail pop ups - hey I dont like it
> but as the only person with a lot of skimmers my views dont always get a
> lot of support.

        Barring house rules, there's nothing to support allowing
psykers to shoot at pop-up attacks, which begin and end in the
FF phase (the question is, when in FF phase do they start?).

> > Being hit by a WS doesn't count as being immobilised for
> > the Doomweaver, according to Jervis & ANdy.
>
> So the cant move or shoot description in the WS's effects means nothing

        It means they can't shoot and can't gang up on the troops
charging out of the WS... kinda important when those troops charging
out only come in groups of 4.

> . Heck I never really liked that (heck cant do ANYTHING in the turn
> should mean cant do anything - if they wanted them to be an exception
> they should have written it as such. Makes you wonder what does qualify for
> immibilised - not much i guess....).

        Mind Lock. Titan that just fired a Plasma Destructor. etc.

> But thats the way we have played it. Youre
> looking at thigs the wrong way though. Dump that wire on the titan, watch it
> step away - then push it right back in with a WS......

        Well, that would certainly work...

Scott
shupes_at_...