Re: [Epic] marine chapters (was: Orks with LandRaiders)

From: J. Michael Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 1997 14:56:53 -0500

Oki Purwanto wrote:

> I hope that did not come off too loud/obnoxious guys. But the fact
> that NATO
> actually figured out that "identifying and taking out Warsaw Pact
> command
> tanks in the heat of the battle" is one of their best tactics simply
> scares
> the hell out of me. Hence the ramblings. Even though I am in
> Singapore, 1/3
> the world away.

With out starting a rant here...

Command elements act differently than line elements. If you are allowed
to watch a group of troops for say 5-10 mins, which one is the leader is
obvious. The better trained the army in question is, the harder this
becomes (target army, not the shooting army). MadMac, being a still
serving officer type, and as a former tanker may be able to answer this
a bit better than I, a medically discharged Air Defense NCO, but as a
rule these are the "general targeting orders" (BTW, this is biased
toward Air Defense, which works under some odd rules.

0) Shoot who your command element tells you to. If not under specific
firing orders:

1) If you have an option to shoot a command element or a grunt, shoot
the commander first, assuming that they are both of equal threats
classes.

2) If you can't tell, shoot the one that look like the biggest threat to
you at the time.

3) If you can't tell the item number 2 shoot the one farthest to your
flank (i.e. if you are on the right flank hit the farther one to your
right, if your are on the left the one farthest to your left)

When I am playing an army that thinks in terms of Rules of Engagement
and like that (SM, IG, Eldar, Tech Guard) I use this concept.

My Orks, on the other hand, tend to just blast away.

--
Sillyness is the last refuse of the doomed.  P. Opus