RE: [Epic] marine chapters (was: Orks with LandRaiders)

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 12:08:15 -0500

>> Does this mean he's on top, in the open, manning a machine gun? Is
>> there infantry around, or what? I can't imagine even a .50 cal would
> > do anything against a BMP, would it?
>
>A chastised MadMac responds lamely:
>Yes, the TC has to expose himself to fire the .50 Cal much like the storm
>bolter on the Leman Russ. .50 Cal vs BMP? I don't know but it shows
>that you can pick your targets in the heat of battle but you don't always
>make the right decision. I should have made it a BRDM. Tankers don't
>like to fight "buttened up". You lose the 360 field of vision and a tank is
>vulnerable from the sides and rear (GW got that right).
>
>Then again I chased a BRDM away with a M60 (7.62 MG). I didn't get
>any kills but the near miss light went off enough times to send him
>away. 2 minutes later the little shit called a Hind in on us but the
>LAW chased him off. The BMP that came by after that waxed us.
>- at NTC vs OPFOR
>
>When bullets are flying at you, you don't always get to ignore them just
>because the book says you are safe. I believe there are stories of the
>M-2 Bradly recording a few kills on tanks. Buy the book, they should
>never have been shooting at them.

-----> I will say, from research and anecdotal info, that even popguns
like
MG's and the Bradley's 30mm can hurt a tank - track hits, vision blocks,
open hatches & freak accidents, fuel lines/tanks going up when they
really
shouldn't, etc. You bounce a big AP round off of a tank, the guys inside
will
 get a little nervous, even if it doesn't penetrate. In many wargames a
given
 unit is just flat invulnerable to fire from another unit, whereas in
real life if
you pump enough lead/HE/AP shots into a target, something will break
sooner or later. Unfortunately if the target is at all interested in
shooting
back, you may not get the chance. If I personally was dealing with such
situation, I would try to run/hide. If that was not an option, you bet
I'm gonna
have whatever weapons available, even if they suck, firing the whole
time,
hoping for a miracle. That's why I don't have a huge problem with some
game systems that use critical hits - weird stuff happens sometimes.

Chris Miller