Re: [Epic] History after 1900,s (off topic and long)

From: Francois Bruntz <fbruntz_at_...>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 00:48:27 PDT

You wrote :

>>I hope that one day there will a Federal European Union as the
>>United
>>States or Canada where all our countries will be in peace and will
>>forget the past...
>>
>>It's finished, you can stop crying... ;o)
>>
>Uh, Canada is one big country, so is the States? Do you mean that
>Canada and
>the States get along well? It is good, but I tell you, there is a
>lot of
>sibling rivalry between the two countries. And the States has in the
>past
>attempted to control all of North America. Which meant they invaded
>us in 1812.

Really, I didn't know this.
When I gave USA and Canada as examples, I was speaking about their
federal system. I think that the European Union can't be successful
without becoming a federation of states with ONE foreign policy, ONE
commercial policy, etc... This is a concept that our nationalists
don't like very much but it's the only way to keep our rank in the
world.

>I guess the hatred between GB and France has to do with the all the
>older
>wars between the two countries. I don't think the French Revolution
>helped
>either. GB saw France as King killers and France saw GB as another
>corrupt
>monarchy.

I don't really agree with you on this point. We had many wars against
Germany but there is now no problem with this country, I mean when
you speak to a French about Germany, he won't be upset, now we see
Germany as our best ally in Europe, in fact Europe can't be done
without this country. We consider that France and Germany are the two
leaders of the European construction with Belgium and Italy. All
these countries (with Netherlands and Luxembourg) are the founding
members of Europe after all.

Now, when you speak to a French about Great Britain, you will be
surprising as he will certainly tell you a lot of bad things about
it.

Of course, this is only the general French feeling.

>It even reverberates here in Canada. One of France's old Prime
>Ministers
>condoned seperatism, basically saying, yeah, split Canada into
>pieces.

Ah! This was our "loved" Prime Minister Alain Jupp�, don't worry now
it's M. Jospin who is Prime Minister.
He must have thought that the better way to protect French language
in Quebeck was to make it independant... I don't agree, when I went
to our "petits cousins" country I saw that they were really capable
of protecting their language even by staying in the Canadian
Federation.

>Anyway, most of history I had to learn for myself from books and
>Discovery
>Channel shows, so I may be wrong.

This why I like Internet, you can discuss with foreign people and
learm a lot about them and their country.

Francois Bruntz
Apprenti MIAGE (Universite Paris XII - IBM France)

                  Lord's Home Page
              Space Marine and Epic 40k
                Last Update : 09/10/97

  http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Dungeon/2370/