Re: [Epic] Tank Armor

From: Chris White <chris_at_...>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 08:58:21 -0700

At 01:41 PM 9/10/97 +0000, you wrote:
>> With metre-thick armour, any shots which would bounce off without damage
>> would probably do none anyway.
>>
>I'm not sure of this. As a not-too-expert tank cultist, I can say
>that the armour's iclination is very important in the making of a
>modern tank armour. The incidence degree of a projectile, combined
>with its great speed and maybe rotation is also very important in matter
>of armor penetration.
>Consider two components which advantage inclined armour insetad of
>normal:
>1) The thickness of the armor, if the plate is very inclined, is
>very increased.
>2) Due to the speed of the projectile, there is some chance (dunno if
>high or low) thet the shell will bounce away where maybe, hitting,
>could have fused the armor and prjected inside the vehicle and
>explosive shell (H.E.A.T. type shell).

        I remember hearing that some modern shells are designed with the intention
of not penetrating the armor, but distributing the energy over a slightly
larger surface area, causing the interior to flake off into pieces of
shrapnel which whiz around the interior killing all the crew.

Nickles
---------
Current Master of the run-on sentence