Re: [Epic] Tank Armor

From: J. Michael Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 11:33:15 -0500

Chris White wrote:

> I remember hearing that some modern shells are designed with the intention
> of not penetrating the armor, but distributing the energy over a slightly
> larger surface area, causing the interior to flake off into pieces of
> shrapnel which whiz around the interior killing all the crew.

That would be HESH (He Explosive Squash Head (I am not kidding)) This
works by lobbing a large chunk of plastic explosive at the target,
letting it "squash" over the target to be about dinner plate size then
going bang. The resultant shock wave then causes your basic chunk of
armor scab flying about the inside of the AFV making loud noises and a
general mess. Of the NATO forces, only the British use this round as a
general rule.

--
Sillyness is the last refuse of the doomed.  P. Opus