Re: [Epic] Thoughts on Ork Tribes-Late

From: Bart Koehler <bkoehler_at_...>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 10:05:07 -0400

I'm sorry I missed most of this discussion, I've been in Detroit the last
few days and have not had a chance to participate. I have entered my
comments below

Erik K. Rutins wrote:

> In the absence of an article in WD similar to that detailing certain
> Space Marine chapters, I got to thinking about Ork Tribes. I will soon
> be engaging a foul ork horde (run by Bart Koehler) in an extended
> campaign.

Foul? Foul how? I make you gag foul? I'm hear to offend your sense of
smell, foul? Foul how? No, you said I was foul, I'm just trying
understand what you meant. What the $#_at_% do you mean foul? ;-) (My
apologies to Joe Pesci)

> Evil Sunz Kult of Speed:
> Evil Sunz Speed Freaks are accustomed to traveling very, very fast and
> shooting off their weapons at small targets (like snotlings).
> Therefore, when on Assault orders the Evil Sunz Kult of Speed uses 3/4
> of their firepower (instead of 1/2). Super Heavy Weapons still need a
> 4+ to lock on (i.e. Death Rays and Lifta-Droppas). The Kult of Speed
> must be painted entirely in Evil Sunz colors to take advantage of this
> ability, as no one else 'practices' nearly as much.

I like the fact that they are not affected by the speed as much, I'll just
need my calculator. I'm lucky that I just painted 6 Evil Sunz
Battlewagons. The problem is going to be that in order to take abvantage
of these rules, someone will neeed a lot of miniatures with the diverse
painting schemes.

> Blood Axe Tribe:
> The Blood Axe tribe uses a lot of formerly Imperial equipment. They
> may buy Imperial vehicles as Support (1 per slot) in a Warband at the
> same price as Imperial or Space Marine detachments. However, because
> of the damage and re-engineering usually involved in capturing and
> 'orkifying' such vehicles, the armor value on the vehicle is reduced by
> one. Because of the same loving orky attention, though, the speed of
> the vehicle is increased by 5cm (up to a maximum of 30cm). A single
> Warband may contain no more than two identical 'orkified' vehicles, as
> they almost always have a varied and haphazard collection. Blood Axe
> Warbands may contain up to 5 mobs of Blood Axe Kommandos.
> Example: Blood Axe Land Raider would be:
> Speed: 25cm (vs. 20cm) Range: 45cm 2x AT Shots Assault: 2 Armour: 5+
> (vs. 6+)
> Note: In order for a warband to be considered Blood Axe, it must be
> painted entirely in Blood Axe colors and must include at least two mobs
> of Blood Axe Kommandos and no Boarboyz.

Yeah, now I can paint the captured Leman Russ I took from you. I didn't
know that that regular orcs could be painted with Blood Axe colors? Again,
this is going to be a miniature problem. I like the rules, but maybe we
could limit it to only warbands with the Maximum four Blood Axe stands can
take advantage of this rule.

> Snakebite Tribe:
> The Snakebite tribe is a tribe of traditionalists. They shun the
> modern ways and feel more comfortable without them. A Snakebite
> Warband gets a +1 bonus to all assault and leadership rolls (in
> addition to the normal +1 for 15 or more units) if the Warband meets
> the following criteria:
> No Vehicles (except Squiggoths)
> No Stormboyz
> No Nobz
> No Kommandos
> No Shooty Boyz
> At least two mobs of Boarboyz
> Note: The +1 assault bonus is lost if the Snakebites are in an assault
> where units that are excluded above are included in the assault along
> with the Snakebites. Too Much Technology bothers 'em..

As you know from my fantasy army, I love Boars!!! I didn't think they got
enough attention in the new Epic game, but I think these rules make them
much more desirable. I like it.

> Goff Tribe:
> Goffs have such a huge attitude about their own hardness that each Goff
> detachment may, once per battle, re-roll its blast marker removal dice.
> In order to be considered a Goff detachment, a Warband must be painted
> entirely in Goff colors and contain:
> No Boarboyz
> No Kommandos
> At least two Nobz mobs.

Very reasonable. I think it is just a subtle enough change to make them
very Goffic without unbalancing the game.

> Bad Moons Tribe:
> These guys love throwing money around. As a result, they do have some
> of the neatest and biggest technology. A Gargant painted in Bad Moons
> colors gets +1 to its starting Power Fields roll (you must have at
> least one Bad Moons Warband per Gargant).
> Due to their wealth and shootiness, Bad Moons Warbands may buy Shooty
> Boyz at 15 points instead of 17. Bad Moons Warbands must include at
> least two mobs of Shooty Boyz. Bad Moons Warbands may not include
> Kommandos or Boarboyz.

You're just saying that because my Great Gargant is Goff. ;-). I thought
Shooty Boyz were more of a Deathskull type unit? There should definitely
be a Nobz requirement of at least two mobz of Nobz as well.

> Deathskulls Tribe:
> Deathskulls have a remarkable collection of 'stuff' they have stolen
> from other tribes and other races. They also have a remarkable ability
> to tinker and fix the broken stuff they find. There are no limits on
> their detachments, though they must be painted in a Deathskulls scheme.
> Deathskulls detachments remove d6 Blast Markers per rally phase
> (instead of d6-1) because of their tinker-like ability to repair damage
> through innovative methods and their available supply of borrowed spare
> parts.

OK. I don't know much about Deathskulls and I haven't painted any yet.

We will have to do a lot of playtesting. Perhaps we could come up with so
other type of Orc. I have been tinkering with the idea of a mountain type
clan that ignores movement penalties etc. The only problem I see is for
painting. I don't know of many people that have enough miniatures to paint
entire warbands in seperate color schemes. I'll start working on it
myself, but I'm just thinking of others.

Bart