Re: [Epic] Skimmers

From: Andy Skinner <askinner_at_...>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 07:57:53 -0500

Miller, Chris wrote:

> ------. I have no prob with a height limit. The only real terrain issues
> we ran into were
> jet bikes etc ending their movement in woods and other interesting
> little situations.
> The sniping of tanks behind tall building was what drove me to consider
> other options
> similar to what you've done.

I like a height limit for pop-ups. I'd choose 15 cm from looking
at the scale of things, but we've been using 25 cm, I think mostly
because I remember a lot of people were using that when I first
came on the list. I don't hear of too many now. It has definitely
hindered my opponent (my wife, and I can't make _her_ mad :-), so I
think they need some compensation. I think ending up over bad terrain
should be no problem at all, so I'd give that back to skimmers to
compensate for the height limit for pop-ups. It gives them the
ability to stay over bad terrain and be free from assaults, so I
might say that they have to keep moving, at least not stay over the
same terrain for more than one turn.

I do like the picture of a lot of jetbikes flying somewhere,
looking like little open-air fighters. So I don't mind 'em flying
pretty high. I just can't see a jetbike popping straight up as
high as GW seems to think they can.

Actually, the current rules about pop-up make a little more sense
in the context with the current rules. You can see and be seen by
anything separated by terrain no higher than yourself. So a skimmer
only has to pop-up as high as the terrain in between to see everything.
This doesn't make them too high up in the air for the current LOS
rule, but in my opinion the current LOS rule is broken, too. So
although more consistent, it is just as broken.

andy
askinner_at_...