Re: [Epic] Skimmers

From: Chris White <chris_at_...>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 08:23:14 -0700

At 04:29 PM 9/11/97 -0400, you wrote:
>sauron1 writes;Chris, our group had no problem with terrain movement,
>except in my campaign where we disagree how steep a slope an Eldar grave
>tank can negotiate.. It was the height of the "pop up" and how far they had
>LOS and targeting. We said that a buildings and such had a shadow effect.
>So if you popped up behind it, a unit could actually be out of sight by
>being in the shadow of the building or other terrain. This also applies to
>Eldar Falcon grav-tanks and everybody's jet bikes. I know this has been
>discussed in length here. I was just staiting some common problems to both
>versions of Epic and our solution. sauron1

        E40K comes with those handy little plastic range wands, ala Necromunda,
but I prefer my metric tape measure...

        It should be possible, though fiddly, to measure a distance from the
ground placement of the skimmer (whatever you and your opponent decide, of
course), then measure range to target directly from that "floating point."
That would take care of both line of sight and range problems.
        IIRC, in some version (maybe 2nd, I've never played) targets shooting up
have some kind of arbitrary range increase to account for gravity. This
could get really detailed, if you were playing with gravity variants for
different planets...

        Darn, rambling again! Need more morning coffee...

Nickles