Re: [Epic] Couple Questions

From: Eugene Earnshaw-Whyte <eug_at_...>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 1997 16:57:03 -0700

Brett Hollindale wrote:

> At 08:31 PM 10/9/97 -0800, you wrote:
> >I just remembered another question:
> >
> >I got a unit of knight paladins and was wondering what the old rules were
> >for them or if they translated into the new system at all. I want to use
> >them 'cause they look kinda cool. I was thinking of making them a
> >glorified stompa type but if anyone else had any suggestions...
>
> My suggestion is that you play Epic Space Marine (SM/TL) where rules cover
> Knights and a hundred other units that "are no longer important on the EPIC
> scale"...
>
> As always
> Agro

So as to offer the concerned party with an alternate viewpoint, I thought I'd
drop in my two cents:
The citadel journal has published excellent rules for knights; they are
balanced and appropriate, so far as I can see. There were also rules printed by
this list; I remember thinking the points were a bit wrong, but they are
certainly usable (with perhaps a bit of modification).

I am not sure what these 'hundred other units' are that were abandoned by E40k.
The squats were not published because they are being radically overhauled; you
will notice that they currently have virtually no support in WH40k as well. I
never liked the squat army in SM/TL, and hopefully the frustrated stunty
players will be rewarded in due course with a kick-ass new army. The other
alleged missing units are not missing at all, they are just treated identically
to other, very similar units. I don't regret this at all; most similar units
were either indistinguishable in SM/TL, or else one would just be better than
the other, meaning that only the better one ever got used. To see what I'm
talking about, compare scorchas with BowelBurnas, Land Raiders with Leman
Russes, and Skull Hammas with Giblet Grindas. I personally prefer having a
bunch of different models treated the same, to having a bunch of different
models with different rules that play almost identically, or worse yet, a bunch
of different models, half of which are basically useless.

I liked SM/TL a lot, but it didn't take me long to decide that E40k was a
significant improvement in many ways. I can certainly understand that some of
the changes would rub some players the wrong way, and it makes perfect sense
that those players continue to play SM/TL (it _is_ a lot of fun, after all).
Weepy friendship-mongering aside, however, I am curious how many of those
players have actually tried out the new rules --an experiment which, if some of
the rhetoric is to be believed, would be put on a similar level with selling
one's soul to the anti-christ for a shiny cardboard box (and some pretty new
models).

Eugene, a sinner who has seen the light (or been ineffably damned, depending on
your point of view)