Re: [Epic] Couple Questions

From: Mark A Shieh <SHODAN+_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 11:13:06 -0400 (EDT)

"J. Michael Looney" <mlooney_at_...> writes:
> Mark A Shieh wrote:
> > The bottom line is, you need to ignore the hype. I know
> > you're capable of it, because you're not GW flunkies yet.
>
> ??? What ??? This does not parse.I play E40K because I like the
> rules better.
> I play WH40K (RT) because I like it better than the current version.
>
> I do not play E40K because of GW hype. For Christ sake my fantasy rules of
> choice is Chain mail, which went out of print some time around 1980. I play
> what I think is the best set of rules for the figures in question.

        What I mean by ignoring the hype is that you didn't throw out
your old Warlord and old Great Gargant just because GW came out with
new models, right? Did you trash all of your old infantry? Get rid
of those dozens of old Falcons? [buy the 5 plastic terminators] It's
what GW wants you to do, after all.
        Sorry if I didn't get my point clear. You bought the new
rules because you like them. You didn't buy many of the new minis
because they're ridiculously priced and unnecessary to enjoy the game.

> I know that (BTW I would say the basic monster book is not optional, at least
> for the DM) but what about the 3-4 "Players options" books, the 3-4
> DM's option books, all the add on for the Monsters the various "The
> Complete XXX handbook"And the rules change from D&D to AD&D to 2nd
> ed AD&D means that with out major work your stuff doesn't transfer.

        Never played with the Players options books. Haven't had a
problem with a campaign yet.

> > > Fasa: Walk into any game shop. Find the Mecha rack(s). Find out
> > > what you need to use to play the damn game.
> >

> <Shadow Run stuff snipped>Ah, I thought the Mecha would give it away. I meant
> Battle Tech/Mech Warrior. All I have done with Shadow Run is 1st ed, and I
> sort of gave up on the game so I did not keep current.

        I don't have much experience with Battletech. :(

> > > WotC. What release of Magic:the Rip Off are we up to now?
>
> In other words exactly like Epic. I can't use my 130+ knights in
> tournaments, but I can among friends. I don't know enough about M:TG
> to know for sure, but I do know what keeps my local game shops alive.

        Right. Among friends, the cards are fine. In a tournament,
the most expensive deck has the best chance of winning. But you can
*show up and play* at a tournament and not get crushed with a smallish
expenditure.
        In my local shop, M:TG takes up a small chunk of counter, next
to 3 dozen other CCGs. I'm not so sure it's that crucial any more.

Mark