Re: [Epic] Couple Questions

From: Mark A Shieh <SHODAN+_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 11:12:11 -0400 (EDT)

Max Maynard-Maloney <dormammu_at_...> writes:
> > > On the other hand they are expensive and Ral Partha minitures seem to be
> > > in the same price range as GW's(you try putting together a full
> > > battalion of metal mechs and keeping your sanity)

> > They are about 25% less, more or less here in Tulsa, at least on armor.

> If you compare them by weight, Ral Partha is far more expensive than GW.
> That is, GW gives you much larger figures which inflates the cost. If you
> are not playing Epic you have to buy characters though, and they really
> are overpriced.

        By weight, or by volume? GW likes to stick a lot of plastic
into their minis... Those 'mechs are quite expensive though, and
there's only 8 plastic ones. Besides, the Epic Imperial Knights were
one of GW's best deals as far as weight/dollar goes. Those minis were
heavy!
        But as far as fantasy miniatures go, they're pretty cheap.
Goblin Wolf Chariot for $15, and it's clearly more than 1/2 the size
of GW's, and I think a lot more metal. I think I picked up 6
Skeletons a while back for WHQuest for about $7.50, less than 1/2 the
price for more than 1/2 the metal.
        Also, were they comparing them at the same discount? I saw a
couple comparisons that put 35% off GW against retail of other brands,
and of course GW start looking better than it used to. :) I know I
had to read it again when I skimmed to the bottom of that one and saw
that GW wasn't the antichrist quite yet.

Mark