Re: [Epic] GW Marketing (was Couple Questions)

From: Chris White <chris_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 09:26:59 -0700

At 09:11 AM 9/16/97 +1000, you wrote:
>On Mon, 15 Sep 1997, Chris White wrote:
>
><snip>
>> Don't get me wrong, everybody is entitled to their favorite army. But the
>> WD articles sort of glossed over the Marines, didn't deal with IG except in
>> a cursory fashion, and now TWO issues (or is it three?) dealing primarily
>> with Orks.
>> The only explanations I can come up with are:
>> 1. Quality control problems/delays with the new minis for the other
races, or
>> 2. Sales are not quite what they wanted, so they are lingering over one
>> race and writing more articles to get people more interested.
>
> I don't know if they could change the content that quickly based
>on sales. AFAIK most of the articles for WD are written about a month or
>two before the issue is released. I suppose they could leave a part ofthe
>mag as dynamic sales related stuff, to be slipped in just before printing,
>and depending on sales trends and the like. So I'd probably go for 1.
>
>Thanks,
> Tony.

        <snip Tony's tag line[sorry]>

        I guess it depends on how devious one thinks GW is. It is conceivable,
though not _too_ likely, that GW has already written a backlog of reference
articles of approximately the same length ready to drop into WD at a
moment's notice.
        They wouldn't even have to be that similar size-wise. As we all know, WD
is unafraid to use ads as filler.
        A lot of the basic troop types have been released for the different
armies, but none of the items that really set them on their feet. By this I
mean: Engines of Vaul; Eldar Titans in General; Bio-Titans; IG sprues;
Support Weapons for most races; Chaos Artillery; Cultists; Beastmen; Fliers
of most races...

        Well, the list goes on. I'd say there are still more unreleased minis than
released ones. But what bugs me is the scarcity of the Old Models...

Nickles