Re: [Epic] Web Content (long/survey)

From: Mark A Shieh <SHODAN+_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 13:31:32 -0400 (EDT)

        Y'all should be aware that I'm about to go off on a WWW
tangent, and that I'm well aware that my views are not shared by many.

"Andy Meechan" <a.meechan_at_...> writes:
> 1) Web Pages should contain ...
> ... [links to] House Rules Yes/No
> ... [links to] Rules errata Yes/No
> ... Battle Reports Yes/No
> ... Reports with maps Yes/No
> ... Personal Campaign Details Yes/No
> ... Rules for Campaigns Yes/No
> ... Terrain Ideas Yes/No
> ... Tons of images Yes/No
> ... Personal Thoughts on gaming Yes/No

        Yes. Sure. The more the merrier. If I don't think
something's interesting, I won't look at it. But I don't mind seeing
it in the index. Keep counters if you want to know what people aren't
looking at and don't update those sections. Only thing is, they
should be links to *your* stuff or a local mirror of another person's
stuff. They should not just be links to articles on other sites
unless you're trying to weasel a meg out of Geocities, a meg out of
your own ISP, etc. which makes it all your own stuff, just not one
site.
        But it's your stuff, you're giving me the privelege of seeing
it. Put up what you think is interesting. Why are you doing this if
you don't enjoy it?
        Just make sure that the images are in the images section. I
don't want to be loading most of them every time I look at the rest of
the pages.

> 2) Web Browsers supported should be ...
> ... Internet Explorer & Netscape 4 Yes/No
> ... Java & ActiveX Yes/No
> ... Frames & Tables (Netscape 2) Yes/No
> ... Backgrounds Yes/No
> ... Netscape 1 Yes/No

        I should be able to load the page with lynx and get the
information out of it. Any optional stuff you want to add from there
is fine with me. I like Tables, and hate Frames. Javascript is
annoying, Java is slightly more so, and ActiveX is the spawn of Satan
(err, Microsoft).
        Backgrounds are fine, keep it readable. My browser will show
me the page before the background is done loading, so it's not a pain
any more. Animated GIFs are a pain.

> 3) Web pages should be updated ...
> ... Erratically Yes/No

        Hey, I'm busy, you're busy. Update it as often as you can
without it becoming it a major pain.

> 4) Any other commentary? (fill this bit in yourself!)

        I haven't actually seen your site yet. <duck> I'll try to
get a look after my weekly meeting today. Unfortunately, this means
that the following is just general advice I give to myself.

        If you're trying to provide information over the web, the
following are features I like:

1) low bandwidth
2) Easy readability (no wierd font colors, can make it out over the
background)
3) For any pictures, please specify the dimensions so the page doesn't
hang while waiting for the picture to load.
4) The page should sit still and let me look at it. This means no
blink, and no animated GIFs. Occasionally, I'll see one that's
unobtrusive, but it's rare. I don't mind if they don't get in the
way.
5) Don't make my browser open new windows every time I click on a
link. It's annoying.
6) Don't put a link to every other [Blood Bowl] site in creation.
Put up a couple favorites, and the Games Workshop Gateway. (I admit
to screwing this one up myself on occasion. But that's because I
haven't updated much since the GWG got rolling)
7) I know it's under construction. Don't spend 2 screens of text and
a big picture telling me so.
8) Not everyone has a good sense of design. Unless you've had
training or people tell you otherwise, keep it simple. It'll probably
look gaudy if you try to snazz up the page too much. Simple is a
wonderful thing. Even if you do have training, KISS is still a good
tactic, but you probably know enough to ignore it if you want.
9) (similar to 8) Originality is overrated. If you see something
you really like, grab a copy of it onto your HD and incorporate
elements of it onto your page. Credit the other guy if you feel nice.
10) You don't need 10 different bullet .GIFs. <LI> (I think) or just
one works fine. If I'm not local, one of the bullets probably will
have trouble loading, and if you didn't specify the dimensions, it
freezes. If you did, I still get that ugly broken "?" symbol.

Mark