Re: [Epic] Battle report (IG vs. 'Nids) (longish)

From: Erik K. Rutins <snowdo1_at_...>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 09:19:51 -0400

> Here is my first attempt at a full-length battle report. Hope it
> reads well, if not say so and I will try to do a better job next time.

Reads great to me, keep up the good work!

> The forces were as follows:
> Tyranids:

Boy, you guys love big detachments! I'm a bit surprised he didn't take
a Mycetic Swarm to drop on your rear areas. Those big Tyranid
detachments are terrifying, but I think a small dropped swarm would have
done wonders for his survival.

> Imperial Guard:
> One Imperial Guard Artillery Detachment consisting of: 1
> Deathstrike Missile Launcher, 3 Manticore Rocket Launchers (siege
> artillery), 3 Basilisks (heavy artillery).
> Total = 363 points

Bart, take note: This is artillery! (He thought my basilisks were bad).

A nicely balanced Guard army, all in all. You really managed to fit in
a lot for 2500 points.

> The Tyranids fired first in the shooting phase, bringing an "orbital
> barrage" down upon the Guard supreme commander detachment, killing the
> Colonel - Goop! And so the Imperial Guard commander was killed with
> the first shot of the battle!...

So the whole Supreme Commander detachment was wiped out by the one
barrage? Pretty impressive.

> of the Dominatrix and Hierophant, destroyed 2 of the Super Heavy
> tanks, leaving the remaining Stormblade with just 1 damage point.

Now that's rough. Super Heavy's do seem to attract a lot of attention
in my games too.

> inflicting just one hit, which inflicted a further 4 wounds from the
> resultant critical hit. The Destructor then fired at the same target,

Boy, did he get lucky there.

> the Destructor won the combat and proceeded to kill both the
> Dominatrix and the Hierophant assaulting it (due to its CC weapons).

That has to be one of the most impressive things I've ever heard of
involving a Warlord Titan. Well done, my condolences to the Hive Mind.

> charged a Hive Tyrant from the Tyranid Infantry detachment who was
> within range, and subsequently destroyed it, forcing the detachment to
> retreat and take another 5 blast markers.

If you really only had the one Hive Tyrant in contact, you could only
have inflicted one blast marker. Can't inflict more blast markers than
enemy units in contact, even if you roll more.

Regards,

- Erik