Re: [Epic] Creating a space marine

From: Aaron P Teske <Mithramuse+_at_...>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 12:45:10 -0400 (EDT)

Excerpts from Epic: 18-Sep-97 [Epic] Creating a space marine by Chris
Pinson_at_...
> Could someone transcribe (briefly if time is not abundant) the different
> stages of implants to create a space marine.

I've been typing it in, gradually, as a response to MadMac's post from,
oh, 4 September. So, here it is. Enjoy!

                    Aaron Teske
                    Mithramuse+_at_...
---cut here---

From White Dwarf issue #98, and also in the Compendium:

GENE-SEED AND ZYGOTES

There are nineteen varieties of gene-seed corresponding to the nineteen
different super-human organs which are surgically implanted into the
Space Marine.

Most chapters have existed for thousands of years. During that time,
gene-seed belonging to some chapters has mutated. This has resulted in
changes in the exact nature of the artificially cultured organs. Such
changes may sometimes make an implant useless. In other circumstances
changes in an organ might reduce its effectiveness. Whatever the
result, it will affect the entire chapter -- all Space Marines belonging
to a chapter share implants cultured from the same original gene-seed.

As well as mutant implants, many chpters have lost one or more types of
gene-seed due to accident, genetic failure, or some other cause. Very
few chapters therefore possess all nineteen implants. All possess the
carapace implant (phase 19). It is this implant which marks a Space
Marine for what he is, irrespective of other implants, training or
psycho-surgery.

IMPLANTS

The nineteen organs created by the ancient technicians of the Emperor
are described below. Each of these organs is extremely complicated and
because many of the organs only work properly when another organ is
present, the removal or mutation of one organ may affect the functioning
of the others. For these reasons, implants must be constantly
monitored, and many Marines have to undergo corrective surgery or
chemo-therapy to re-balance their metabolisms.

Phase 1 -- Secondary Heart. The simplist and most self sufficient
implant. The secondary heart is capable of boosting the blood supply or
maintaining full life functions even with the destruction of the
recipient's original heart. The phase 1 implant enables Marines to
survive low oxygen concentrations and traumatic injury.

Phase 2 -- Ossmodula. This is a tubular shaped organ whose small size
belies its complex structure. The ossmodula monitors and secretes
hormones affecting epiphiseal fusion and ossification of the skeleton.
At the same time, the specially engineered hormones encourage the
forming bones to absorb ceramic based chemicals administered in the
Marine's diet. Two years following implantation, this will have caused
considerable strengthening of the long bones, extreme ossificaiton of
the chest cavity (caused by growth of the ribs forming a solid mass of
inter-laced bone plates) and a general increase in the size of the
recipient's skeleton.

Phase 3 -- Biscopea. This organ is implanted into the chest cavity. It
is small, approximately circular and, like the Ossmodula, its primary
action is hormonal. The presence of the biscopea sitmulates muscle
growth throughout the body.

Phase 4 -- Haemastamen. This tiny organ is implanted into a main blood
vessel. The haemastamen serves two purposes. It monitors and to some
degre controls the phase 2 and 3 implants. The organ also alters the
constituent make-up of the recipient's blood. As a result, Marine blood
is considerably more efficient than ordinary human blood, as it has to
be when you consider the extra biological hardware a Marine carries
inside him!

Phase 5 -- Larraman's Organ. This is a liver shaped, dark, fleshy organ
about the size of a golf ball. It is implanted into the chest cavity
along with a complicated array of blood vessels. The organ generates
and stores special 'larraman cells'. If the recipient is wounded, these
cells are released into the blood stream. They latch onto leucocytes in
the blood and are transported to the site of a wound. Once in contact
with air, the larraman cells form a skin substitute of instant scar
tissue, staunching the flow of blook and protecting any exposed wound
area.

Phase 6 -- Catalepsean Node. This brain implant is usually inserted
into the back of the skull via a hole drilled into the occipital bone.
The pea-sized organ influences the circadian rhythms of sleep and the
body's response to sleep deprivation. Normally, a Marine sleeps like
any normal man, but if deprived of sleep, the catalepsean node 'cuts
in'. A man implanted with the node is capable of sleeping and remaining
awake at the same time by 'switching off' areas of the brain
sequentially. This process cannot replace normal sleep entirely, but
increases a Marine's survivability by allowing perception of the
environment whilst resting.

Phase 7 -- Preomnor. The preomnor is a large implant which fits into
the chest cavity. It is a pre-digestive stomach which allows the Marine
to eat a variety of otherwise poisonous or indigestible materials. No
actual digestion takes place in the preomnor. Individual sensory tubes
assess potential poisons and neutralize them or, where necessary,
isolate the preomnor from the rest of the digestive tract.

Phase 8 -- Omophagea. This is a complicated implant. It really becomes
part of the brain, but is actually situated within the spinal cord
between the cervical and thoracic vertibrae. Four nerve sheaths called
neuroclea are implanted between the spine and the preomnoral stomach
wall. The omophagea is designed to absorb genetic material generated in
animal tissue as a function of memory, experience or innate ability.
This endows the Marine with an unusual survival trait: he can actually
learn by eating. If a Marine eats part of a creature, he will absorb
some of the memories of that creature. This can be very useful in an
alien environment. Incidentally, it is the presence of this organ which
has created the various flesh eating and blood drinking rituals for
which the Marines are famous, as well as giving the names to chapters
such as the Blood Drinkers, Flesh Tearers, etc.

Phase 9 -- Multi-lung. This is another large implant. The multi-lung,
or 'third' lung, is a tubular grey organ. Blood is pumped through the
organ via connecting vessels grafted onto the recipient's pulmonary
system. Atmosphere is taken in by means of a sphincter located in the
trachea. In toxic atmospheres, an associated sphincter muscle closes
the trachea and restricts normal breathing, thus protecting the lungs.
The multi-lung is able to absorb oxygen from poorly oxygenated or
poisonous air. Most importantly, it is able to do this without
suffering damage thanks to its own efficient toxin dispersal,
neutralization and regeneration systems.

Phase 10 -- Occulobe. This small slug-like organ sits at the base of
the brain. It provides the hormonal and genetic stimuli which enable a
Marine's eyes to respond to optic-therapy. The occulobe does not itself
improve a Marine's eyesight, bit it allows technicians to make
adjustments to the growth patterns of the eye and the light-receptive
retinal cells. An adult Marine has far better eyesight than a normal
human, and can see in low light conditions almost as well as in daylight.

Phase 11 -- Lyman's Ear. This organ enables a Marine to consciously
enhance and even filter certain types of background noise. Not only is
hearing improved, but a Marine cannot become dizzy or nauseous as a
result of extreme disorientation. Lyman's ear is externally
indistinguishable from a normal human ear.

Phase 12 -- Sus-an Membrane. This flat, circular organ is implanted
over the top of the exposed brain. It then grows into the brain tissue
until completely merged. The organ is inneffective without subsequent
chemical therapy and training. However, a properly tutored Marine may
then enter into a state of suspended animation. This may be a conscious
action, or may happpen automatically in the event of extreme physical
trauma. In this condition a Marine may survive for many years, even if
bearing otherwise fatal injuries. Only appropriate chemical therapy and
auto-suggestion can revive a Marine from this state -- a Marine cannot
revive himself. The longest known period of de-animation followed by
successful re-animation is 567 years in the case of brother Silas Err of
the Dark Angels (d. 321 M.27).

Phase 13 -- The melanochrome, or melanochromatic organ, is hemispherical
and black. It functions in an indirect and extremely complicated
manner. It monitors radiation levels and types bombarding the skin, and
if necessary sets off chemical reactions to darken the skin to protect
is from ultraviolet exposure. It also provides limited protection from
other forms of radiation.

Phase 14 -- Oolitic Kidney. This red-brown and heart shaped organ
improves and modifies the Marine's circulatory system enabling other
implants to function effectively. The oolitic kidney also filters blood
extremely efficiently and quickly. The secondary heart and oolitic
kidney are able to act together, performing an emergency detoxification
program in which the Marine is rendered unconscious as his blood is
circulated at high speed. This enables a Marine to survive poisons and
gases which are otherwise too much for even the multi-lung to cope with.

Phase 15 -- Neuroglottis. Although the preomnor protects a Marine from
digesting anything too deadly, the neuroglottis enables him to assess a
potential food by taste. The organ is implanted into the back of the
mouth. By chewing, or simply by tasting, a Marine can detect a wide
variety of natural poisons, somce chemicals and even the distinctive
odors of some creatures. To some degree a Marine is also able to track
a target by taste alone.

Phase 16 -- Mucranoid. This small organ is implanted in the lower
intestine where its hormonal secretions are absorbed by the colon.
These secretions initiate a modification of the sweat glands. This
modification normally makes no difference to the Marine until activated
by appropriate chemo-therapy. As a result of this treatment, the Marine
sweats an oily, naturally cleansing substance which coats the skin.
This protects the Matine against extremes of temperature and even offers
a slight degree of protection in vacuum. Mucranoid chemo-therapy is
standard procedure on long space voyages and when fighting in vacuum or
near-vacuum.

Phase 17 -- Betcher's Gland. Two of these identical glands are
implanted, either into the lower lip, alongside the salivary glands or
into the hard palette. Betcher's gland works in a similar way to the
poison gland of venomous reptiles by synthesizing and storing deadly
poison. Marines are rendered immune to this poison by virtue of the
gland's presence. The gland allows the Marine to spit a blinding
contact poison. The poison is also highly acidic and corrosive. A
Marine imprisoned behind iron bars could easily chew his way out given
an hour or so.

Phase 18 -- Progenoids. There are two of these glands, one situated in
the neck, the other deep within the chest cavity. These glands are
important to the survival of the Marine's chapter. Each organ grows
within the Marine, absorbing hormonal stimuli and genetic material from
the other implants. After five years the neck gland is mature and ready
for removal. After ten years the chest gland becomes mature and is also
ready for removal. A gland may be removed any time after it has matured.

These glands represent a chapter's only source of gene-seed. When
mature, each gland contains a single gene-seed corresponding to each
zygote implanted into the recipient Marine. Once removed by surgery,
the progenoid must be carefully prepared, its individual gene-seeds
checked for mutation, and sound gene-seeds stored. Gene-seeds can be
stored indefinitely under sutable conditions.

Phase 19 -- Black Carapace. This is the last and the most distinctive
implant. It looks like a film of black plastic when it's growing in the
tanks. This is removed from its culture-solution and cut into sheets
which are implanted directly beneath the skin of the Marine's torso.
Within a few hours the tissue expands, hardens on the outside, and sends
invasive neural bundles deep inside the Marine. After severla months
the carapace will have fully matured and the recipient is then fitted
with neural sensors and transfusion points cut into the hardened
carapace. These artificial 'plug-in' points mesh with features integral
to the powered armour, such as the monitoring, medicinal and maintenance
units. Without the benefit of a black carapace a Space Marine's armour
is relatively useless.

STAGES IN MARINE INITIATION
(note: non-proportional font recommended)

Implant Age range for Notes
                           implantation

Phase 1 Secondary Heart 10-14 years \ Phases 1-3 can be introduced
Phase 2 Ossmodula 10-12 years } at the same time
Phase 3 Biscopea 10-12 years /
Phase 4 Haemastamen 12-14 years \ Phases 4-5 can be introduced
Phase 5 Larraman's Organ 12-13 years / at the same time
Phase 6 Catalepsean Node 14-17 years Hypnotherapy begins
Phase 7 Preomnor 14-16 years \
Phase 8 Omophagea 14-16 years } Phases 7-9 are usually
Phase 9 Multi-lung 14-16 years / introduced simultaneously
Phase 10 Occulobe 14-16 years
Phase 11 Lyman's Ear 14-16 years
Phase 12 Sus-an Membrane 15-16 years
Phase 13 Melanochrome 15-16 years
Phase 14 Oolitic Kidney 15-16 years \ Phases 14-15 can be introduced
Phase 15 Neuroglottis 15-16 years / at the same time
Phase 16 Mucranoid 16 years
Phase 17 Betcher's Gland 16-17 years
Phase 18 Progenoids 16-18 years
Phase 19 Black Carapace 16-18 years Final implant