[Epic] The Campaign continues...

From: Bart Koehler <bkoehler_at_...>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 21:32:19 -0400

(The Ork Perspective)

As dawn rose on the third day, all looked well for the Orks. With
victories in the previous day and the addition of the Bad Moon clan, all
things looked good for another successful Ork offensive. My Ork tribes
attacked on all three fronts again, but met with different results this
time...

In the first battle in the center, The Warlord Gulgorak and his Great
Gargant, along with two air detachments, met up against a smaller
Imperial Gaurd detachment of Artillery and super heavy tanks with a
small infantry detachment. Things went wrong from the start as the
Gargant approached the waiting IG. One turn the IG hit on 8 out of 8
shots, stripping away most of the gargants shields. This was not enough
to stop him, and the gargant was perched in front of the IG ready to
wreak havok in the shooting and assault phases. With a 3 out of 4
chance to win the War Machine shooting phase, I lost. To make matters
worse, the IG stripped me shields caused a critical hit which ignited my
Magazine, resulting in my weapons being inoperable for the rest of the
turn. The IG then caused a firefight, suprisingly, I lost this phaser
(0 firepower), which destroyed me Gargant. I will spare the detals on
the other two battles, suffice it to say, things went equally as
poorly. The large Warband, Gulgorak's cousin, took heavy casualties and
lost the left flank. The Gargant with the close combie weapon (Rip
Slasha III) did not kill the Warlord Titan this turn and ended up being
destroyed again. The net result of the turn was that the Orcs lost 3
battles and 3 detachements. Total VP's overall was -5 for the IG 2 for
the Orcs.

Turn four brought on the eagerly awaited, experienced, gloriously brave,
stupendously effective Space Marines. With the poor showing in the
third turn, I was a little anxious to see what was going to happen to
the orcs in this turn with the arrival of an additional 500 pts of Space
Marines. In rolling our Directives, the Orcs were awarded a little
bonus. (I rolled a 12) I could add 4 detachments of 250pts to the Orc
force. I had to TAKE three additional minor territories in the turn, or
forfeit 4 VPS. My Waaagh in this turn had grown to 4500pt!!! And it
was a glorious Waaagh. As poorly as things went in the Turn 3 (and it
was the worse I have ever seen), was as good as things went in turn 4.
I was able to maneuver my Orcs to attack the three territories
necessary. We refought the battle in which the Great Gargant lost,
however I had an additional 25o pt dettachement along for the ride.
This was the battle where the Valiant space marines arrived. The battle
started of normally, with the Gargant and Bad Moons advancing, and the
Space Marines arrived on Turn 2 with a parade and trumpet fanfare. THe
were densely packed in on one side and I decided to Ground attack with
my planes. They got through the interceptors and were able to cover 7
units of Space
Marines. With 4 planes that was 28 firepower. This killed 4 units and
placed 3 blast markers. I continued to fire on this detachment and
totaled 5 blast markers at the end of the turn. The Space marines
rolled a 1 inthe rally phase and removed no blast markers. I then took
advantage of this and moved Gulgorak and his shiny new gargant to face
the death defying Space Marines. I continued to pile Blast Markers on
them, and the rolled another 1 in the rally phase, so they were carrying
8 blast markers around. I apprached the front line with the Gargant to
firefight them, which they lost, were broken and had to retreat. In the
rally phase, they rolled a 1, and continued to retreat with over 10
blast markers. I soon made short work of the rest of the IG. In the
other two battles, both decisive victories for the Orcs, the highlights
were Rip Slasha IV bringing down another Warlord Titan in CC, but this
time surving the impending explosion. The Third battle was highlighted
by what I can only describe as an Amphitheater of Orcs in a semi circle
on a hill surrounding a detachment of IG tanks. I had 4 detachments of
Orcs, Stompas and Battle Fortresses. The best part was when the IG
tanks tried to retreat in Difficult terrain. Three tanks rolled ones so
could not moved, and two proceeded to roll another 1 to explode. Reults
of that turn were I gained my three territories and was able to keep one
of my four 250pt detachements. The Blood Axes were so impressed, they
decided to join me for turn 5. This brings my Waaagh total to 4 clans,
4250pts. I am perched to attack a major territory next turn...

Eric, do you want to add any comments?

Bart