Re: [Epic] The Campaign continues...

From: Erik K. Rutins <snowdo1_at_...>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 23:56:49 -0400

Thanks for writing up and posting our second campaign session. It was
all as you said - the glory and the shame in even quantities (though
only shame for the Space Marines so far).

I would add that we players experienced the highs and lows of our armies
acutely. Coming into Turn 3, Bart was very optimistic. Being stopped
butt cold was not in his plan and definitely caused him dismay.
Similarly I was quite excited at the arrival of the Space Marines, yet
their performance (and that of the rest of my army on Turn 4) was the
worst I had seen yet. One can only wonder what will come on Turn 5.
The Orks have now pushed deep into the Imperial center, threatening to
drive a wedge between the flanks. The capital is now on the front line
of the Imperial left flank. The Space Marines will continue to try to
hold the center.

> attacked on all three fronts again, but met with different results
Well, almost all fronts. :-) I did manage one attack (with the
titan-led company) which recaptured that territory on my right flank for
one turn.

> wreak havok in the shooting and assault phases. With a 3 out of 4
> chance to win the War Machine shooting phase, I lost. To make matters
> worse, the IG stripped me shields caused a critical hit which ignited
> Magazine, resulting in my weapons being inoperable for the rest of the
> turn. The IG then caused a firefight, suprisingly, I lost this phaser

This was truly amazing. His Great Gargant could not have had a worse
outing here. Pretty much the counterpart to the Space Marines
performance.

> Total VP's overall was -5 for the IG 2 for
> the Orcs.

This was up from -7 for the IG on the previous turn and down from 3 for
the Orcs. The IG got one momentum effect (I chose divine inspiration)
for the next turn's battles.

> the eagerly awaited, experienced, gloriously brave,
> stupendously effective Space Marines.

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm? ;-)

> forfeit 4 VPS. My Waaagh in this turn had grown to 4500pt!!! And it
> was a glorious Waaagh. As poorly as things went in the Turn 3 (and it

This was really good timing for the Orks to roll that 12. Otherwise
with the arrival of the Space Marines it would have theoretically been
quite a bit more difficult to sustain the offensive. Bart did have to
win all three battles, though, or suffer a substantial penalty.

> them, and the rolled another 1 in the rally phase, so they were

This just became silly as the Space Marines couldn't remove a single
blast marker the whole battle. Moreover, they couldn't set overwatch,
couldn't move, etc. They had one approach move and then sat still and
destroyed my morale until they retreated off the side with around 13
blast markers.

> by what I can only describe as an Amphitheater of Orcs in a semi

This was pretty funny, actually (the IG tanks exploding). The Ork
amphitheater was an impressive sight, especially with the eight Stompas
in the action.

> 4250pts. I am perched to attack a major territory next turn...

And I thought last turn was tough. Now it's 2000 IG + 500 SM vs. 4250
Orks. This will be a test of my abilities if ever there was one.

> Eric, do you want to add any comments?

Uh.. <g>

Regards,

- Erik