[Epic] Imperium vs. Tyranids Battle Report (long)

From: Colen McAlister <colen_at_...>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 1997 13:43:39 +0100

We played Blitzkrieg for this battle.

Codicier Adams gazed down the road. His superhuman senses still couldn't
detect anything, and he wondered if it was wise to have taken his squad
away from the main force.
High in the sky, a single Tyranid ship slipped undetected through the
fierce battle that was raging overhead. It jettisoned Mycetic Spores,
which began their slow descent to the planet.
Adams sighed. He turned away, gazing down the valley, when a small cloud
of dust caught his eye. The cybernetic implant zoomed in, revealing a
crowd of Tyranid creatures racing towards his position. He isseud a few
curt commands to his men, then activated his comm-link.
        "Tyranid creatures detected at sector Alpha-2. Request
reinforcements."

The Imperial Force:

Force Aquamarine, Sapphire Crusaders: A librarian, 4 devastator squads
and two Land Raiders. This was the detachment that started on the
battlefield.
Force Laser, Imperial Fists: 5 Land Raiders and 3 Predators.
Force Pearl, Imperial Guard: 3 Heavy Artillery engines, 2 Siege
Artillery and 3 Hydras.
Force Whirlwind, Joint Sapphire Crusader / Imperial Fist: 3 Whirlwinds
from each chapter.
Force Sanguine, Blood Angels AKA "The Lazy Bast***s": Librarian,
Captain, 5 Tac squads and 1 Devastator squad.
Force Blanc, Space Wolves: Wolf Lord, Runepriest, 2 Grey Hunter squads,
1 Wolf Guard Terminator squad (heavy weapons) and 2 Long Fang squads.
All in drop pods.
Force Shatter, Imperial Fists: 2 Assault, tactical and scout squads with
3 Bikes and Vindicators for backup.
Ke'Ta, Warlord Titan: Death ray, 3 Heavy Weapon batteries.
Alpha Squadron, 1 Thunderhawk, 1 Thunderbolt and 2 Marauders.
Beta Squadron, 1 Thunderhawk, 2 Thunderbolts and 1 Marauder.

Morale Value: 68 Points Cost: 2976

The Tyranid Force:
Intimidating Detachment No. 1: Loads of assaulty things in assault spawn
Intimidating Detachment No. 2: Loads of fast assaulty things
Intimidating Detachment No. 3: Mycetic Spores, with about 8 Lictors!
Big Gun Detachment: Some artillery things
2 Flying Scary Things: Each with 1 Harridan and 5 Gargoyles.
Dominatrix, Hierophant, Hierodule

Morale value: 64 Points Cost: 2964

Intimidating Detachments 1 & 2 were enormous, and probably took up about
half the cost of the army.

Turn 1:
The Sapphire Crusaders held their position. Unknown to the Tyranids,
they were the only detachment on the board. Harridans and Gargoyles shot
the kak out of some unoffending trees.

Turn 2:
I had great hopes for this turn, as my forces could almost turn up
anywhere, but only the Whirlwinds showed up. This didn't worry me,
though, as the Space Marines calmy took aim and revenge on the Tyranids
for shooting the trees. Intimidating Detachments 1 and 2 were reduced to
1/3 strength as the Devastators, Land Raiders and Whirlwinds laughed.
The Assault spawn from Intimidating Detachment 1 ate 4 devastator units,
but lost the combat and were killed.

Turn 3:
Seeking revenge, the Hierodule Bio-Titan killed all but one of the
Whirlwinds and then assaulted the last one, killing it (surprise). The
Titan and Forces Alpha and Beta arrived this turn. Force Alpha reduced
Intimidating Detachment No. 2, who had foolishly marched, to 1 Carnifex,
while Force Beta took the Hierophant Bio-titan down to 3 damage points.
To finish off the Carnifex, I played the Tarot card Orbital Barrage, but
it was nicked and killed two Whirlwinds instead. To save my opponent the
bother of moving it, I assassinated the Carnifex instead. Intimidating
Detachment No. 3 landed, and started infiltrating around. Ke'Ta shot up
the Dominatrix, taking it down to half damage points. Intimidating
Detachment 1 took on the Sapphire Crusaders in an assault and won. The
fleeing space marines wee then pursued for the rest of the game by a
bio-titan, who ran after them, piling on Blast Markers.

Turn 4:
The Space Wolves landed and started shooting up the tyranid artillery,
while my artillery and Force Shatter arrived and kicked in the swarm
with all the Lictors. It ran away, reduced to about 1/4 of it's former
self, with about 7 Blast markers. Force laser arrived and did in the
Hierodule with it's 10 AT shots on Overwatch. The tyranids piled
firepower onto the Titan, taking down all it's shields and smacking it's
head about (can't move for the rest of the turn, can only fire one
weapon). The Dominatrix assaulted it, but was beaten and ran off (it
didn't have to, but the Tyranid player wanted to). The damage to the
Titan was repaired. Mwahaha, I thought, nothing can stop me now! At this
point, the score was Imperium 34, Tyranids 1.

Turn 5:
The Blood Angels finally arrived, but we couldn't be bothered so we just
left them off, and besides, it was late. The Hierophant Bio-Titan, still
pursuing the Sapphire Crusaders, was killed by Force Alpha. Force Beta
tried it on with the Dominatrix, but the Thunderhawk was Psychic Blasted
for it's trouble. It flew off. The Space Wolves continued in their
mission to kill as much of the Tyranid Artillery as possible, and the
Warlord Titan took aim at the Dominatrix. Meanwhile, I played the Tarot
card the Kraken, forcing the Lictor detachment (who had 7 Blast Markers
on them) to take Leadership tests for the rest of the turn. They
couldn't move, and were assaulted even more by Force Shatter. Ke'Ta
rolled a plethora of 5's, doing absolutely no damage to the Dominatrix
as the Death Ray hit was saved. The Dominatrix, aided and abetted by the
remnants of Intimidating Force 1 (1 Hive Tyrant and 1 Tyranid Warrior
unit) overloaded the Plasma Reactor. Ha, I thought, the Dominatrix'll
get caught in the explosion. The tyranid warrior was stepped on, the
Hive Tyrant took 5 hits, failed 2 saves and died, but the Dominatrix
only took 2 and saved both. Force Laser, with it's Land Raiders and
Predators, marched up behind it to destroy it next turn. But there was
no next turn. The battle was over.

Tyranids -4, Space Marines 17.

<emblem of Slaanesh>

'Mad Dog' McAlister
--
    /\          Colen McAlister, AKA 'Mad Dog' McAlister,
   /--\           Keeper of the Unholy Keys, Lord of the
 /--  ---- \        and chosen of the Chaos Gods, AKA
 \--  ---- / Brother Morgan who wields the Blade of Immortals
    | |  |/         Member of the Twisted Brotherhood
   \---/
    \-/                 colen_at_...
     '           http://www.bryanmac.demon.co.uk/colen