[Epic] Ther return of Looney's Air Defense Rules:

From: J. Michael Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 13:16:46 -0500

Air Defense Rules for Epic 40K

The following rules are in addition to the current "Flak" rules in E40K.
The flak rules work well to gun based ADA but fail to have the correct
"look and feel" for missile based air defense.

In the "Real late 20th century world" missile air defense can be loosely
divided into 3 types, HIMAD, SHORAD and MANPAD, or in English, HI
altitude Missile Air Defense, SHOrt Ranged Air Defense and MAn Portable
Air Defense. Rules for each of these will be given.

HIMAD Missile
Any unit that is armed with a "Vortex missile" type weapon may be
upgraded to HIMAD for a cost of 20 points. This cost is per unit, not
per missile in the case of units with more than one Vortex missile
installed. The cost is to reflect the cost of fire control equipment on
the launcher and the more or less minor modifications to the missile it
self.

A HIMAD modified system may use the following rules:
After normal flier missions are declared any HIMAD unit may be declared
to be in Air Defense mode. This places the detachment on "Special"
orders. For the non air defense units in the detachment this acts as
either another type of "special orders" (i.e. Flak or Prep fire) or as
"Over watch".
The HIMAD missile is a flier with the following data:

Move Range FP Assault Armor
Flier 0 0 6/4 6+

The HIMAD missile may ONLY be used as an Interceptor, and the normal
Interceptor rules are in effect with the exception that a HIMAD missile
may not "loiter" over the battlefield, it must attack on the turn that
it is declared.

WYSIWYG notes/rules:
None needed, as the "Vortex missile" units already have missiles mounted
on them.
Reality Check Note:
The idea that a missile unit may be used against both aerial and ground
targets is not as off the wall as it sounds. Several ADA missile systems
are capable of being used in a surface to surface role, and ATGM systems
are some times used in an anti helicopter mode. Most naval missile
systems are dual role as well.

SHORAD Missile Units
Any unit with the "Flak" special option may be upgraded to "SHORAD" by
paying 7 points above the current cost of the unit. A unit with the
SHORAD option may fire as "normal" if under "special" orders as per the
flier rules in E40K. If the unit is not under special orders the
following is in effect:

Overwatch Orders: Unit may fire as per normal flier rules, however they
are at 1/2 fire power.

"No Orders/Normal": Unit fires as if it were "Snap Fire vs Fliers",
however the range is the range of the unit, not 10 cm.

Assault Fallback March: Unit has no special fire vs fliers. May only
snap fire as per normal rules.

MANPAD
Any Infantry unit that has the "Heavy Weapon" special ability may be up
graded to MANPAD for a cost of 5 points. The effect of MANPAD is to give
the unit "FLAK" as a special ability. All normal FLAK rules are in
effect for this unit.

<<<Cut Here>>>

Between these rules, my smoke rounds rules, Alan's "Flavor" rules (note
spelling), the rules in CJ 20/21 and my still under design Engineering
rules, I think "E41K" or E40K++ is well under way. Of course we still
need the flavor stuff for the other races beyond Humies and Greenskins.

I have my rules (duh) on my web site, I have posted Alan's "raw" text
files for both Humans and Orks and I am well on the way towards making
"Web Pretty" versions of Alan's rules. Once I finish the whole thing I
will be re doing my Site layout to make E41K a little more obvious.

Alan: We need to come up with a "real name" for this. I don't think
Net Epic 40,000 would be a good idea (vs Net Epic)
Every body else: Lets see what we can do about the holes in the Army
lists and any "missing" type units.

--
Sillyness is the last refuse of the doomed.  P. Opus