Re: [Epic] Replicate Miniatures

From: Harlequin Master <harlequin_at_...>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 20:48:47 +0100

> From: COZIARIS CHRIS 1245 <coziaris_at_...>
> To: owner-space-marine <owner-space-marine_at_...>;
'space-marine_at_...'
> Subject: RE: [Epic] Replicate Miniatures
> Date: 22 September 1997 22:29
>
> I would like some additional professional opinion just to clarify things
in
> our rights as hobbyists.
>
> Questions :
>
> 1. Replicating models, is it illegal even if you do it for your own
> use. I mean not to sell them and definetely not to get any profit by any
> means.

Copying copyrighted models is illegal even if you only use them and dont
sell them

> 2. What about copying a CD to tape ? ( to listen your favorite
classic
> composer in your car )?

Copying music is also illegal but since everyone does it, its virtually
impossible to police and prosecute.

> 3. What if you replicate a model but never use it as it was
originally
> designed. I mean to use some (replicated) parts of it in a scratchbuild
> project.

The parts from the original kit are copyrighted to the manufacturer and any
copying of such parts is illegal.

> 4. What if you replicate a model that is not supported by the
> manufacturer any more.

The original model is copyrighted by the manufacturer and therefore copying
it is illegal, regardless if supported or not.

> 5. What about the replicating technics described in detail in some
> serious modelling magazines & books. Do you think that these guys know
that
> ? Are the manufactures aware of this ?

Whereas copying models is illegal, informing people on how to do it is not.

As you can see from my answers, copying is illegal............

.....but only if you get caught!!! :)

Harlequin Master, the original and definately not a copy!