[Epic] Engineering rules for Epic 41K correction, reformat and expansion

From: J. Michael Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 15:18:10 -0500

Mark A Shieh wrote:

> Do you mean that each infantry unit that has the Engineer
> special ability generates one engineer point, or that each unit in a
> detachment with Engineers contributes a point whether or not they're
> upgraded? I can see it either way, but it's somewhat unclear.

Engineering rules for Epic 40,000

For a cost of 5 points per unit any infantry unit may be upgraded to
Engineer status. Vehicles, to include war engines that have the
Transport special ability may be upgraded at a cost of 7 points per
vehicle. Vehicles that are up graded to Engineer loose their
�Transport� slots (the space is now full of mines, pointy bits of wire
and like that)

Each infantry unit that has the Engineer special ability generates 1
engineer point. Each vehicle generates a number of engineer points
equal to the units Transport rating (i.e. a Rhino or Land Raider
generates 2 points , a Razorback or Falcon 1 point.). Each detachment
that has any engineer troops has a total engineer points equal to the
sum of the infantry engineers and vehicle engineers. Detachments may
not share or loan points to other detachments to work on larger
projects.

Examples:
1) An IG detachment has 2 IG squads each of 2 units, 1 squad has the
Engineering special ability. Each squad is mounted in a Chimera APC.
The Engineer's APC is not upgraded to Engineer. The detachment has 2
engineer points. This detachment may not clear a mine field.
2) An IG detachment has 2 command elements each in a Chimera, 2 IG
squads with Engineering, who's Chimera is upgraded to Engineering, plus
2 heavy weapon squads in Chimeras. This gives you a total of 8 IG
stands (2 command, 2 HW, 4 Cbt Eng), 6 Chimera, 2 of which have no
transport slots open, but do have engineering. This give you a total of
8 engineering points. This detachment may do any engineering tasks

Any detachment that has Engineers in it that wants to perform
Engineering tasks must be placed on special orders. The non engineers
in the detachment are treated as if they were on Special orders (if that
has any meaning for that unit) or Over watch at the owning players
choice.

Engineering task are performed during the Movement phase of the owning
player.

Engineering tasks:
Lay Razor Wire 1 EP
Clear Razor Wire 1 EP
Lay Mine Field 2 EP
Clear Mine Field 4 EP
Generate Smoke Screen .5 (one half) EP

When a mine field, razor wire or smoke screen is laid it must be placed
in contact with at least on unit of the laying detachment.

At least one unit of the detachment must be in base to base contact with
a mine field or razor wire strip to clear it. Smoke screens can not be
cleared.

Smoke screens are as per normal smoke rules except that the template is
placed in contact with the unit generating the screen instead of being
delivered via artillery shells.

Once a mine field or razor wire is laid it obeys the rules given for
them in the Battle Book

Engineer units receive +2 FP or +2 Assault when attacking enemy units
that are in Fortifications. When using the +2 FP the engineer must be
within 15 cm of the target. This reflects satchel charges, flame
throwers, Bangalore torpedoes and other means of messing with some ones
mind and body that combat engineers tend to carry with them.

If the �Bunker� objective is in use Engineer units receive a +2 FP or +2
Assault for attacks on the bunker.

Optional but strongly suggested to avoid, well cheese,
Engineer points are one shot points. My example detachment # 1 could
lay one mine field at any point in the game. Detachment #2 could lay a
total of 4 mine fields during a game, or clear a total of 2 mine fields
or any combination totaling 8 points. The +2 FP bonus for Engineers
assumes that they still have Engineer points available. Using the +2 FP
does not use up any engineer points however.

--
Sillyness is the last refuse of the doomed.  P. Opus