Re: [Epic] Engineering rules for Epic 41K correction, reformat and expansion

From: J. Michael Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 18:57:10 -0500

Matt Starling wrote:

> I don't understand why engineer units would get +2FP or +2 assault. I say just give them the special ability you outlined first regarding placing or removing special terrain features.

The +2 FP is ONLY vs troops in Fortifications, not just in general. (see page 14 battle book). One of combat engineers "historical" roles is dealing with pillboxes and other field fortifications. Giving the engineers a + to hit vs fortifications is easier than going into rules for blowing up field works.

> It does make sense that after they spend the engineer points to place or remove a special terrain feature, the points spent are gone and cannot be used again for the remainder of the battle.

Yes, I think that when the engineer rules are included in E41K that part will NOT be optional.

> I would also add this: engineer units must be given there orders like any other unit. When a detachment that includes engineers wants to place or remove special terrain features, they receive the order ! for special orders; other units in the detachment are on overwatch just like units act when included with artillery units using special orders for pre-emptive strikes. the special terrain piece is not placed or removed until the end of the turn (or maybe the end of the combat phase just prior to assault phase). This would reflect the time it takes to perform the task. More engineers can be assigned to a task than required to perform the task, but if through the course of combat engineer casualties cause the detachment to have fewer engineer points than surviving engineers can provide, the special terrain piece is not placed or removed. The engineer points committed to the task are still spent.

Hmmm... Maybe. The do require the ! orders as it stands. The reason why I wrote the rule as I did was for those people that make a detachment of say, artillery, Flak and engineers. If put on ! orders, each type can act on there own "special !" orders. i.e. the AA troops kill fliers, the guns kill Kults of Speed (Hi Matt!) and the engineers toss out the mines.

As far as time goes, what I might go is orders are placed during movement, as normal, and the engineer action counts as the units firing during the firing phase. In fact the more I think about that the more it has got to be that way.

Side note: Matt. we have been doing firing phase wrong. Something did not feel right during the last 2 games, and now I know what it is. Re-read the top of page 16 of Rule Book.