Re: [Epic] Any Interest

From: Alan E & Carmel J Brain <aebrain_at_...>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 1997 12:53:04 -0700

Chris White wrote:

> How would you roll dice? I'm a fairly trusting person, but it would be
> hard to buy a roll that was, say, 80% "6"s. I've seen it in real life often
> enough, but some guy on e-mail saying "Wow. 8 out of 10..." would give me a
> twinge of suspicion...

You just gotta trust the other guy. For example, in The Great
ThunderHawk Cheese Demonstration, I lost initiative for the first 6
turns. Fortunately, the way we'd set it up, I rolled for the initiative
for 5 of those turns.
But any system other than trust doesn't work: it takes too long. It also
has a big advantage: if you've built up enough mutual trust over
die-rolls, any discussions involving ambiguities in the rules are
quickly resolvable.
FWIW in the game I was in, Chad comprehensively out-generalled me,
making better use of Bugs than I thought possible. I still won, but that
was more because I was able to demonstrate that any merely competent
general with 20 THs could and would beat an excellent general using
Tyrannids.

I suspect in E40K this will still be the case. In a 2000 pt army, you
could get 6 units, each of 3 THs, enough to do 18 BMs and 72 rolls ON
THE SAME UNIT once every few turns. This would normally be a wipeout on
one unit, and loss of both it, and 18 Morale points from 18 BMs.
Even on the first turn of appearance allocating them all as Interceptors
and Flak-suppression will mean you have 15 or so to play with therafter,
and the opponent has no airforce or flak left. Still, it would be
interesting...
--
 abrain_at_...  o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo     oo