[Epic] re: ...Marine wisdom... & Eldar Flyers

From: Andy Meechan <a.meechan_at_...>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 97 09:01:57 gmt

> ASSAULT SQUADS -

     * Drop Pods, Thunderhawks...

> SCOUTS -

     * Move +30cm ahead and cause lots of inconvenient (for your
     opponent) Snap Fire areas :)

     * Then watch them get toasted! I'd use them to the flank rather
     than down the centre.

> SUPPORT WEAPONS - Actually, I just want to point out that they haven't
> done these even though they claim to have released all SM figures.

Those and a heap of others. I have'nt seen Manticores, Griffons,
Demolishers, new IG aircraft, Bombards, etc, etc. ...

     * Although the Marine Support Weapons haven't shown, I'm surprised
     that as much Imperial Guard stuff *has* been released! Imperial Guard
     starts hitting the shelves (in the UK at least) January 5th. Happy
     New Year! (Yes, the UK Mail Order posters for Christmas have started
     - they detail all the new boxed sets until the start of January: The
     Wh40k Falcon is November 11th; WhFB Chaos is November 17th...)

> BIKES & 'SPEEDERS - Again, what do you mix these with? Attack Bikes slow
> down Bikes; most vehicles slow Bikes and 'Speeders; Bikes can't 'skim' and
> so make 'Speeders less mobile. Should these be used in homogenous
> detachments?

Similarly to Land Raiders. Speeders IMHO are almost useless.

     * They're only of use for the Skimmer ability, but does ignoring
     terrain while moving and getting a pop-up really worth 10
     points? Ask an Eldar player!

> DREADNOUGHTS - These seem great, but they're damn slow and you can't put
> them in transports. Are there any non-defensize uses for these?

Decoys, maybe ?

     * (UK)WD214 has more OPTIONAL rules by Gav Thorpe which, on first read
     through are quite nice. Take two Dreadnoughts into battle? I just
     Thunderhawk and go!

> THUNDERHAWKS -

     * Dropping Assault Units using either Drop Pods or Thunderhawks is
     nice :) (see also above; I obviously like this idea!).

     * As for models, who needs them? Seriously, the use of Flyers in the
     game doesn't justify models really. Yes I *would* like to get one of
     the new Thunderhawks, but for modelling & painting primarily: their
     use in the game is limited (as a model that is, as a Unit I like
     them). This goes for the new Eldar Flyers also, who need sthem
     exactly? The rest of the army, yes. The flyers ...

     * As for the new Eldar War Machines (Scorpion & ???), I have to agree
     that they are a bit, erm, poo. The Scorpion is the nicer of the two,
     but the weapons could have been a bit more subtle; he's (Tim Adcock)
     done a nice job on the rest of the range though.

     -Andy-