Re: [Epic] [E40K] Seeking Space Marine wisdom...

From: Colen McAlister <colen_at_...>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 16:08:47 +0100

Max Maynard-Maloney <dormammu_at_...> came forth and spoke thusly
about [Epic] [E40K] Seeking Space Marine wisdom...:

>ASSAULT SQUADS - The movement rate on these is too slow for vehicles and
>still much faster than Tac Marines. Do you use them in homogenous
>detachments?
What do you mean by homogenous?

>SCOUTS - I'm really not seeing the value of Infiltration yet. They can be
>far from HQ and vulnerable to getting killed...and what else?
Put 'em in drop pods, drop 'em far away from enemy flak or snap-fire
thingys, and use the +30cm move to get into combat.

>SUPPORT WEAPONS - Actually, I just want to point out that they haven't
>done these even though they claim to have released all SM figures.
You could convert the Eldar ones?

>LAND RAIDERS - Another unit with an inconvenient speed. Do you mix them
>with other vehicles much? It would seem to slow the others down
>unnecessarily. One guy mentioned a unit of 5 LRs and 3 Predators; I'm not
>sure how the Preds compliment the LRs.
Put them in front as a shield.

>VINDICATORS - Gotta love 'em. I mainly wonder whether people put them in
>'assault detachments' or use them for support in a variety of detachments.
Assault Dets, definatley. The new flying rules in WD214 would be good,
as you could transport them too.

>BIKES & 'SPEEDERS - Again, what do you mix these with? Attack Bikes slow
>down Bikes; most vehicles slow Bikes and 'Speeders; Bikes can't 'skim' and
>so make 'Speeders less mobile. Should these be used in homogenous
>detachments?
Mix them with each other.

>DREADNOUGHTS - These seem great, but they're damn slow and you can't put
>them in transports. Are there any non-defensize uses for these?
Again, the new flying rules make these worthwhile in assault.

>THUNDERHAWKS - I get this. I was wondering what people transport in them.
>I was thinking of having two and transporting Librarian, 2-4 Terminators,
>3-5 Tac Squads and 4 Devastator squads. They could hold objectives pretty
>well and rack up a lot of Firepower on OW (24).
Generally Assault dets.

<emblem of Slaanesh>

'Mad Dog' McAlister
--
    /\          Colen McAlister, AKA 'Mad Dog' McAlister,
   /--\           Keeper of the Unholy Keys, Lord of the
 /--  ---- \        and chosen of the Chaos Gods, AKA
 \--  ---- / Brother Morgan who wields the Blade of Immortals
    | |  |/         Member of the Twisted Brotherhood
   \---/
    \-/                 colen_at_...
     '           http://www.bryanmac.demon.co.uk/colen