[Epic] [E40K] Seeking Space Marine wisdom...

From: Max Maynard-Maloney <dormammu_at_...>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 1997 11:19:41 -0700 (PDT)

Well I've played many wargames in my day, but after playing a couple games
of Epic 40000 I've come to realize I don't know much about detachments.
With the ability to mix such radical varieties of units the strategies
seem much different than in most wargames (where like units fight
together). So, what have you folks to say about the following troop
types?

ASSAULT SQUADS - The movement rate on these is too slow for vehicles and
still much faster than Tac Marines. Do you use them in homogenous
detachments?

SCOUTS - I'm really not seeing the value of Infiltration yet. They can be
far from HQ and vulnerable to getting killed...and what else?

SUPPORT WEAPONS - Actually, I just want to point out that they haven't
done these even though they claim to have released all SM figures.

LAND RAIDERS - Another unit with an inconvenient speed. Do you mix them
with other vehicles much? It would seem to slow the others down
unnecessarily. One guy mentioned a unit of 5 LRs and 3 Predators; I'm not
sure how the Preds compliment the LRs.

VINDICATORS - Gotta love 'em. I mainly wonder whether people put them in
'assault detachments' or use them for support in a variety of detachments.

BIKES & 'SPEEDERS - Again, what do you mix these with? Attack Bikes slow
down Bikes; most vehicles slow Bikes and 'Speeders; Bikes can't 'skim' and
so make 'Speeders less mobile. Should these be used in homogenous
detachments?

DREADNOUGHTS - These seem great, but they're damn slow and you can't put
them in transports. Are there any non-defensize uses for these?

THUNDERHAWKS - I get this. I was wondering what people transport in them.
I was thinking of having two and transporting Librarian, 2-4 Terminators,
3-5 Tac Squads and 4 Devastator squads. They could hold objectives pretty
well and rack up a lot of Firepower on OW (24).

Any advice is appreciated.

Max

"Run, humans! Run for your sweaty lives! Run till you hearts burst and
your lungs collapse! You cannot run away from ME! Everything that is,
IS MINE!" --the dread Dormammu, Doctor Strange #9