Re: [Epic] 'Nids 'Nids 'Nids

From: J. Michael Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 10:14:18 -0500

Scott Shupe wrote:

> Keith Laidlaw wrote:
> >
> > I've played with Tyrannids a couple of times trying to get used to the
> > new rules and working out viable tactics.
> > The best I can come up with is have two detachments consiting of
> > nothing but assault spawn. Use another two detachments of infantry and
> > carry them within the assault spawn. Add a mycetic swarm for
> > re-enforcements on turn two.
> >
> > The assault spawn go on march orders and the infantry assault from
> > them. This should allow you to get into hand-to-hand in turn one (a
> > total distance of
> >
> > (3*25)-5 + (15-5) + 15 = 95 cm.
> > assault spawn 1st infantry 2nd infantry
> > march assault assault
> >
> > Having started on second editon Epic where infantry carried in
> > vehicles ony get a proportion of their move according to how far the
> > vehicle has moved, the above tactic seems a bit unrealistic - but it's
> > the only way I can get Tyrannids into hand-to-hand before they are
> > decimated.
> >
> > Of course, I may be misunderstanding the movement rules and the above
> > tactic is illegal.
>
> No, it's perfectly legal. In fact, you're probably
> shorting yourself a few cm there - if the infantry is moving
> into close combat, it gets to double its move in the assault
> phase, giving you a grand total of 110 cm. Scary.
>
> Out of curiosity, what are you getting 'decimated'
> by? I'm wondering what tactics/force composition your opponent
> is using that could be so effective against the bugs.

Ah, well, firing phase happens before assault. Firing at marching
things, is, well, good from the shooters perspective, bad from the
target. Being as how you are 25 cm away damn near every body except
Eldar will be able to bring max. firepower to bear on you. And if you
manage to kill of the leader types, well bugs have to make leadership
test like normal troops.

Also, well, on my tables 110 cm will not make it to the other side in
one turn. (4' x 8', played the "long way") Remember that the deployment
areas are not the same as they are in SM-2. In a meeting engagement
there is NO deployment area, you come in from a table edge, and in
several others it is only 25 cm deep. You, as a general rule, don't
have that only 90 cm deep "no mans land" effect that SM-2 used.

--
Sillyness is the last refuse of the doomed.  P. Opus