Re: [Epic] 'Nids 'Nids 'Nids

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 1997 13:48:32 -0400

J. Michael Looney wrote:

> > > The assault spawn go on march orders and the infantry assault from
> > > them. This should allow you to get into hand-to-hand in turn one (a
> > > total distance of
> > >
> > > (3*25)-5 + (15-5) + 15 = 95 cm.
> > > assault spawn 1st infantry 2nd infantry
> > > march assault assault
>
> Ah, well, firing phase happens before assault. Firing at marching
> things, is, well, good from the shooters perspective, bad from the
> target. Being as how you are 25 cm away damn near every body except
> Eldar will be able to bring max. firepower to bear on you.

        But he's dismounting before the firing phase -
sure, the defender can shoot the heck out of the marching
assault spawn, but that's not going to save them from
being assault by the troops.

        The assaulting troops will be subjected to lots
of FP, though, unless there's some handy cover near your
target. I guess the problem here is that if your opponent
gets initiative in the assault phase, he can possibly
firefight the assaulting Nids and render them broken, thus
keeping the bugs from actually getting into CC that turn.

> Also, well, on my tables 110 cm will not make it to the other side in
> one turn. (4' x 8', played the "long way")

        You don't feel that playing the long way alters
the balance of the game? I know it would for SM/TL.

Scott
shupes_at_...