RE: [Epic] 1000 pt Epic 40k Marine Army for critique

From: Woofer <ss52dlh_at_...>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 12:55:45 +1000

Max Maynard-Maloney wrote :

> If you're looking at it background wise, this makes sense. But only if
> the Marines are a minority of the force. That is, Space Marines
> supporting an Imperial Guard force makes sense; the reverse seems
> ridiculous. When would so few IG units be around? Their hallmark is
> massive resources. Of course, if you don't care about such fluff-based
> concerns then add artillery 'til the cows come home.

Hear hear ! While it's nice to not worry about such
"fluff-based" things, I do believe that the flavour of the game is
enhanced by such things. If you're a huge power-gamer, then sure,
use/abuse the rules and restrictions (or not) to your hearts'
content. To my mind, however, you're playing a simulation that pits
two even (theoretically) forces against one another. It is then your
aim to beat your opponent by utilising the forces at your disposal.

It's about beating your opponent on the battlefield with what you
have using your skills, rather than putting together a killer force
that will wipe everybody else out in one turn. Sure, we have never
had armies like these ones to compare with, so saying that a
particular choice of units and detachments is unrealistic is
farcical. But it is within the spirit of the game and the universe
it's set it to say that SM's would be few and far between.

I don't think that was expressed to the best of my ability, but
that's my two bob's worth anyway.

Woofer