Re: [Epic] A lot of questions

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 1997 09:14:34 -0400

Carl Billen wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I bought Epic 40K a couple of months ago, and I have a lot of questions
> regarding the rules.
>
> 1) The Assault Spawn of the Tyranids have the Transport(2) ability, which
> allows them to transport 2 units of infantry. Is a unit of infantry [a] a
> unit is the 'Infantry' section of the 'Tyranid Units Summary' on page 101
> of the Armies Book, or [b] a unit which is a stand of 5 figures.

        [a]

> This is
> important because Hive Tyrants, Lictors, Carnifexes, Zoanthropes and
> Biovores are all a single unit on a stand, but they are bigger than the
> average unit. However, Biovores are rather small compared the Hive Tyrants
> and Carnifexes, I would like to know if the fall into the 'Big Fella'
> category as described in the Battles Book (p.104).

        That's probably up to you. Personally I would only
include tyrants, carnis in that category.

> Also, what's the use of the 'Big Fella' (suggested house-) rule that only
> Transports with capacity 6 can transport these big critters ? (Only the
> Space Marines have such a big transport).

        The IG Leviathan & the chaos Plague Tower can both
transport 6 or more. Admittedly, that doesn't help you much.
I'd say either ignore the big fella rule, or if you want
tyrants & carnis in a fast detachment, put them in a spore
drop.

> 2) Blast Marker trouble :

        Oy. Join the club.

> 7) Flavor question : Rule Book, p.46 (Flyers) : 'After completing each
> mission a detachment of flyers must miss its next turn rearming and
> refuelling.' Harridans and Gargoyles are biological entites, NOT machines.

        So imagine that they have to eat a large meal and need
to grab some more biological ammo.

> I find it out of character that they have to fly away again (especially
> the gargoyles, as they remind me more of Jump-Pack troops than flyers...)

        Yeah, it's kinda odd what they did to the gargoyles,
which should have just been jump-packers like swooping hawks.
But I guess they didn't want to have to come up with any new
tyranid units.

> 8) Flavor question 2 : When I was painting my SM scouts, I used different
> skin tones to create some variation. When I showed the figures to my
> friends, they started laughing because there was a negro scout.

        Your gaming buddies are GW lackies who can't think
for themselves. Congrats on the diverse marines.

Scott
shupes_at_...