Re: [Epic] A lot of questions

From: Chris White <chris_at_...>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 1997 08:39:13 -0700

At 09:20 AM 10/2/97 +0100, you wrote:
>Hello everyone,
>
>I bought Epic 40K a couple of months ago, and I have a lot of questions
>regarding the rules.

        <snip>

        Welcome to the jungle.

        <snip transport question>

        <snip bulk of BM trouble>
  The point is, can a detachment fire at itself in order to lose BMs
>? Can the FP of units which cannot fire at the enemy be used to cancel out
>the BM-penalty ?

        <snip>

        Let the cries of CHEESE begin! - Although not explicitly stated, I think
it is assumed that you cannot fire against your own troops intentionally at
all, ESPECIALLY not within the same detachment. IIRC, the firing rules are
explicit about Detach. A selecting a Detach. B to fire at.
        In answer to your larger question: I play that the firepower which you can
actually bring to bear must beat the BMs to have any effect at all.

        <snip>

>3) Blast Marker trouble, part 2 : A Titan Close combat weapon hase a FP of
>4 and a Range of 30cm. [a] Does 1BM cancel out the Close Combat Weapon's
>fire (as it is a Super Heavy Weapon) or [b] do you need 4 BM to render the
>weapon ineffective ?

        <snip>

        You need four BMs

        <snip>

>4) BM trouble, part 3 : Is the Energy Pulse weapon of the Dominatrix cancel
>with [a] 1BM (as it is a single SHW) or [b] 3BM, as each BM cancels out a
>single AT-shot.
>
>5) BM trouble, part 4 : Does the Eldar Pulsar cancel D6 BMs, or just 1BM.

        <snip>

        Hmm. Haven't had that problem. I would assume it's just a 1:1 ratio. If a
special weapon gets multiple shots, it should take multiple BMs to cripple it.

        <snip>

>6) I think questions 3-5 can be summarised as : If a SHW has a certain FP,
>is its canceled out immediately with 1BM, or are as many BMs needed as the
>weapon has FP ? But what if the (Titan's) SHW is damaged ? Can it then be
>used to cancel the BM penalty ? (I am firing my damaged Heavy Barrage
>weapon at that group of infantry, in order to created some FPs...)

        <snip>

        No. Never. In situations like that, ask yourself if you would want your
opponent to do that to you if you were unable to gain the same advantage...

        <snip>

>7) Flavor question : Rule Book, p.46 (Flyers) : 'After completing each
>mission a detachment of flyers must miss its next turn rearming and
>refuelling.' Harridans and Gargoyles are biological entites, NOT machines.
> I find it out of character that they have to fly away again (especially
>the gargoyles, as they remind me more of Jump-Pack troops than flyers...)

        <snip>

        Maybe they need to ingest flammable chemicals.

        <snip flavor question 2, et. al.>

>Carl Billen
>billenc_at_...

Nickles