Re: [Epic] 'Nids 'Nids 'Nids

From: J. Michael Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 1997 19:31:57 -0500

Miller, Chris wrote:

> >> You don't feel that playing the long way alters
> >> the balance of the game? I know it would for SM/TL.
> >
> >I have always played wargames the long way.
> >
> >If which way you have the table set up effects the balance of the game, well,
> >there is a problem with the game rules.
>
> ------> It's not neccessarily the rules. With modern/historical games,
> sure, everyone has pretty comparable weapon ranges, but in 40K etc table size
> can be a
> serious advantage/disadvantage for a given army based on their quantity of
> ranged units vs HTH units.
> Terrain set-up can affect any game rather severely. Lots of terrain
> -favors infantry , more open areas favors tanks. Think "desert" vs "urban".
>
> This said, if you play one way or the other consistently, at least you
> can determine effectiveness over time. On a narrow table, you tend to see much
> less
> use of transport vehicles (rhinos), while on a long-ways table, they may show up
> for
> almost every unit In my experience, Marines & IG are more than willing to go
> with a long
> table, while Orks and sometmes Chaos get easily screwed.

This does explain a lot of my tendency to design mech infantry forces.

Waagh-Tunez is 100% mech. The only sort of odd thing is that the Goff's
transports is 2 detachments of war engines (total of 6, carries 24 stands, which,
as it happens, is the number of stands in the Goff clan I currently have.

Matt: You are NOT going to like the 1st Blood Ax Mek Inf-in-tree Battalion. It
is more or less based on "The Army Formally Known as Soviet (tm MadMax)" Motor
Rifle Battalion, agumented for an assult role. Check it out on the web site later
this week.

That and the Snot-n-Grots Fire Support Mob.

Die Bekie Skum!